Oxalic acid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just read here that you can remove a stain on oak with oxalic acid.

My question - where do I get it and how do you use it?

I hope someone can help with this as I've just glued up an oak counter top that has become stained through (careless on my part) contact with one of the sash cramps.

I bought 1kilo of crystals from the local chemist, It takes quite a time to dissolve though. But it works

152429832_92d05d0064_o.jpg

I needed to repair this water damage stain to the teak bulkhead on my boat.

I had to remove the varnish first by sanding and then I added a very tiny amount of wallpaper paste to make it into a thick cream so it didn't run down the wood. I washed it off every day and repeated it about three times.

It is now perfect and I would defy anyone to notice it was ever damaged.

Hi there,

I tried three chemists in the town today without success, the first one had never even heard of it. Since we only have three chemists in our town I gave up and did a Google for it. I've now ordered 500G from John Penny a very interesting site.

I also found it here but John Penny was a bit cheaper.

regards

Brian

Hi there,

Received the Oxalic Acid yesterday in the post and used it today. The very fine crystals (almost like a course powder) dissolved very quickly and did a wonderful job of getting rid of the stains. I had to go over the heaviest stain a second time but the wood is fine now, just got some sanding and finishing to do.

regards

Brian

Back