Online Travel Booking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO and I are planning a fair bit of travelling this year (mainly to the USA and Canada) and having torn my hair out over the iniquities of a few of the online services in the past, I am interested to learn what other folk rate as good ones.

There are so many to choose from and it seems plain that many have a restricted menu of choices - based no doubt on some block booking deals - it makes it an exercise in frustration to compare the offerings, by the time you have examined one offer and then gone back to another booking service to look at theirs, the first offer has timed-out and you have to enter all the same rubbish again.

Recommendations gratefully accepted (not just flights but hotels and cars too)

Chris

Before you book online I'd have a word with Trailfinders.

We travel a lot and were in South Africa 2008 and Hong Kong/NZ/Aus/Singapore last year.

I did all the groundwork on line as I usually do but on these long haul flights, I couldn't beat their deals.

I booked all the hotels and car hire on line though as trailfinders weren't cheap for those.

Be VERY careful about your travel insurance (see my earlier post). Make sure you are actually covered for what you think you are!

Have a great time

Bob

For flights I book direct with the airlines and try to wait for their sales but check against Opodo, Kayak etc.

For hotels I generally use Expedia - they have always been cheaper than booking direct and you pay in Sterling so no nasty surprises?

Car hire I check with all the well known names in the country visiting.

Rod

For flights I always book directly with the airline, usually online. For flights within the US, if your plans are flexible, you may do better to wait and book flights when you are there.

For hotels I've found the best deals are to had by finding a hotel on the internet and then phoning them direct and negotiating a deal. You can almost always get a discount that way. The other way is to book on the internet and then negotiate a deal when you check in.

For car hire, again, go to the web sites of the well known ones. Hertz and Avis are usually the most expensive, Dollar and Thrifty are the cheaper end of the market, but you get what you pay for. If you book a small car they will usually offer you an upgrade, for a price, when you check in. Quite often, if you refuse the upgrade, they will give it to you anyway for free because that's the only car they have left!

Good luck,

Just don't take the bike!! :shock: :lol:

Chris,

After you calculate the cost of the trip by booking yourself give your itinerary to a local travel agent and ask for a price. I priced a holiday in Rome a couple of years ago and got a better deal from a travel agent which gave me better accomodation and saved me over £100. Best part was, no hiccoughs because everything we got was already assessed by the agent and approved by them.

Travel agents are well aware that we can DIY holidays so they have to compete.

Brendan

I can't recommend anyone good but I can say that I booked a holiday through Funways to the states and the service was awful, dealing with Funways is anything but fun.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, book loads of stuff before you go and research what else is on in the areas you are visiting, I missed an event because it was barely advertised.

Simon

Back