One here for Alf.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Have read interesting posts recently on 60 deg pitched planes and are thinking of making something similar to a Krenovian style smoother (as on ebay) with a 50mm, very thick cut down blade and cap iron from an old coffin smoother, pitched at maybe 55 deg. I have some very dry, hard rock maple to use for the construction. Have got the Krenov books re plane making. Goer...no no...worth a punt? Any tips or suggestions? Many thanks - Rob

Ooo, one for Philly more like; he's the plane maker. Should work fine, I'd have thought. Can't remember what angle I used when I made a couple - while back now. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Philly - 55 or 60 deg, any thing else apart from a good perusal of the relevant Krenovian text :?: - Rob

I seem to remenber reading in one of JK's books that he found 45deg to be adequate for all his needs.

Does this mean that all of the high angle brigade (myself included) are missing something, or are JK's skills in preparing and using a standard angle plane just way above ours?

Personally, I made a 55deg krenovian plane and it worked pretty damned well - that is untill I dropped it an it broke DOH!!.

Aled

Rob
I have recently built a plane with a 60 degree pitch. No problems to report construction wise. And 60 degrees is great for difficult timbers.
I'm also a fan of HNT Gordon stuff (I have four of them)his are all at 55 or 60.
A great book is "Making and Mastering Wooden Planes" by David Finck. Well worth getting (foreword by JK, too)
Seems JK likes standard 45 degree pitch. Obviously he must like scraping and sanding..... :lol:
Give me a shout if you need any more info,
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly and others - thanks for the info, will have ago and post some pics on the forum of my efforts - will have a go at pitching the cutter at 60 deg - Rob

Back