One for the Americans and Canadians

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
A neighbour in Italy works for HP and occasionaly visits San Diego. She said I could ship an order, from Canada, to her friend and she would bring it back. When ordering from Lee Valley you pay the taxes upfront but Rob Cosmans store says there are no taxes or duties to pay when they ship to the US. Basically I don’t want to put her friend out, I would be embarrassed if she had to pay the tax and I don’t know if this is something done online or does the postman/woman collect it?

LV has/had a shipping warehouse in the US for such orders. Been a while so don't know if it's still the case.

The sales and use tax rules vary by state and likely change over time. In the past, if a business would not collect or report the tax on the inter-state sale if it did not have a physical presence in the receiving state. The buyer is required to report the sales and use taxes, but I don't know any who do.

None of my orders from LV, LN, Incra, Woodpeckers, Blue Spruce, or Oneida included sales and use tax because none of these businesses had a physical presence in New York, the state associated with my military address. However, all of my online purchases from B&H Video did include the NY sales and use tax because they are based in NY.

We use Colis Expat to bring purchases in from abroad. Basically they provide a delivery address in various European countries as well as the USA. So you purchase something and have it delivered to their depot. They then ship it direct to you but they give you the transport price first. It works really well. Not used it for the States yet but can’t see it being any different to Europe in terms if efficiency.

We use Colis Expat to bring purchases in from abroad. Basically they provide a delivery address in various European countries as well as the USA. So you purchase something and have it delivered to their depot. They then ship it direct to you but they give you the transport price first. It works really well. Not used it for the States yet but can’t see it being any different to Europe in terms if efficiency.
I have been a member of Stackry in the US but unless you want to buy several items it still works out very expensive.

If you have family in the Americas, use them. My brother is in Canada and he regularly sends me stuff as gifts sourced from the USA.

If you have family in the Americas, use them. My brother is in Canada and he regularly sends me stuff as gifts sourced from the USA.
I've considered asking my mate in Utah to send me some bits as "gifts". Does it mean that no import tax is necessary?

Back