Oak worktop finishing advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherilton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am making a pine kitchen at the moment with an American oak worktop. ( see pics )
S3700121.jpg

S3700122.jpg

S3700125.jpg

When i seal the top do i need to do both sides? I have done beech tops before and sometimes not sealed underneath and had no problems. The top thickness is 42mm and if it decides to cup will the pine carcase be strong enough to hold it flat? I was going to use stretcher plates and 15mm screws to fasten down to carcase!
Thanks in advance
Graham

Interesting idea and a beautiful kitchen.

I plan to build an Oak kitchen for my renovation in France. I had contemplated the idea of having the worktop in Oak too but didn't think you could get away with it.
What sealing product did you use in your kitchens you say there is no problems?

Just used 2-3 coats of danish oil!
Why you say didnt think you could get away with it? Is it because of the possible movement of the oak?
Cheers

I would possibly use some Diamond Hard Floor varnish and give both sides a couple of coats. You can get this in matt, silk and gloss.....the main problem that your going to get with the oak is that it will become stained around the sink area if the water is allowed to soak into the timber. So I might even give this area a couple more coats and blend it into the rest.

SimonA

Am i to think that Danish Oil is not good enough for the job? Is it a 'very' likely possibility that the oak will start to get water damage around the sink or is it 'just' as likely as a Beech top for example?
Thank fully the customer is finishing the top but i have recomended Danish oil
Cheers Graham 8)

SimonA":1r4w081h said:
I would possibly use some Diamond Hard Floor varnish and give both sides a couple of coats. You can get this in matt, silk and gloss.....the main problem that your going to get with the oak is that it will become stained around the sink area if the water is allowed to soak into the timber. So I might even give this area a couple more coats and blend it into the rest.

SimonA

Just a thought. A shallow channel could be routed parallel to the cutout all around and filled with some corian or other man-made material. The counter top and sides adjacent to the sink could be stained fairly darkly and sealed well. This would give a nice light wood to white to dark wood scheme and the man-made material in the channel would help keep noticeable water from migrating into the rest of the top and waterstaining it from the inevitable dings along the edges.

Nice looking project, by the way.

Rick

Thats a pretty good idea Rick......one other thing that people usually do around sinks is to make that section from marble/granite/corian.

SimonA

Read the thread about the pros and cons and yes oak may have not been a wise choice, with me being partly to blame for not advising the customer about the maintenance side of owning an oak top. But it's done now and i will be fitting it on wednesday ( will show pics if ur interested ).
Have to buy them a set of plastic cuttlery.Lol. :lol: to stop the marks.
Thanks for advice
Graham

Back