Oak unit(s)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary M

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
A friend asked me to make him a unit for his hallway, tall enough for storage but not too big.
We settled for 1200mm high 300mm wide and 300mm deep with three equally spaced shelves. His wife wanted a chunky look to the unit.
Made from solid American White Oak with an oak veneered ply back.

Of course when SWMBO got wind of the unit she decided that it would be as easy to make two as it would to make one :roll: (why did i make that comment a while back) So i made two.

I started off with good intentions regards the WIP pics, but then forgot all about them :oops: as i took a bit longer than expected due to other commitments.
Here is the stock sitting on the bench sized and planed,

work217.jpg

work218.jpg

For the sides I glued up four panels approx 1250mm x 320mm and then trimed them to finished size when dry.
The shelves and top where glued up as another four panels and then i cut two shelves out of three of them and two tops from the other.

The chunky look to the front was made with 45 degree cuts to the panels and the front strips, biscuits helped with alignment on the top mitres and the side mitres where simply glued and taped (blue masking tape) together until dry. Shelves are dadoed into the sides.

The veneered ply back was a few offcuts i had from another job.

Finished with dainish oil and wax.

A few pics.

work277.jpg

work278.jpg

work282.jpg

work279.jpg

work281.jpg

Thanks for looking
Cheers,
Gary.

Very nice Gary. I think I would have 'chunked up' the shelves tho.

WiZeR":2ajnteo2 said:
Very nice Gary. I think I would have 'chunked up' the shelves tho.

Agree with WiZer here, shelves could have been chunkified up a bit and I think some sort of chunky plinth treatment would have been good as well...looks a bit 'open' at the bottom - Rob

Gary

Nicely done, but again I agree with the shelf thickness, because you have the wide piece around the front it does make them look rather flimsy, but don't be disheartened its still a nice project.

Thanks for the constructive critisim guys, I suppose i agree with it and to be honest didn't even think about the shelves :roll:

D'ont worry Waka i'm not disheartened at all, the main thing is the friend who the unit was for is over the moon with it and thats good enough for me :wink:
Cheers,
Gary.

Back