Oak fascias & soffits - commit or avoid?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear Forumites,

I'm about to install some new fascias and soffits on my house and have been considering oak. I'm caught in two minds over this decision as:

1. Oak's tendency to shrink during summer months can create huge gaps (6-8mm) that may permit large insects to enter and possibly look unsightly, conversely, swelling in winter months can cause the soffit to push on and subsequently loosen the fascia (assuming use of stainless steel nails for fixing).

2. The wide (200mm) and long (6m) lengths required are likely to cause the oak to cup unless segmented but then comes the challenge of achieving aesthetic joints between segments.

So, some questions:

1. Is there a recommended moisture level installation (adjusted for time of year) for decorative/architectural oak so that shrinkage/swelling can be managed?

2. What is the approved method to achieve aesthetic joints in unstable fascia boards - T&G/rebates, 45deg mitres or decorative caps?

3. If I give up on real oak and go for UPVC with oak finish can anyone recommend a quality brand/supplier?

Thanks,
C

Latest posts

Back