Oak Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnErY

Established Member
Reaction score
Made this bowl today from green oak that I obtained on the visit to Isca woodcraft in Newport Where Paul Hannaby was there assisting with putting it in my car it was so big it would not fit in my boot so we got the guys from Hanover estate to chainsaw it down into manageable sizes it still had to go on my back seat . I cut 16 inch rounds out of one slab turned it and finished it with sanding sealer and liberon stick then microcrystalline wax over the top buffed on a wheel until it gave a decent shine was a bit scary turning such a huge lump on a small lathe and my hand was giving me a bit of problems as I was completing it was close to giving up turning but decided to have another go the bottom of the bowl is not the best but I had to stop when I did hope you enjoy it as much as I did turning it
Regards
Bill

Attachments

• DSC00074.jpg
    DSC00074.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,465
  • DSC00079.jpg
    DSC00079.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,465
  • DSC00075.jpg
    DSC00075.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,465
  • DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,465
Great persistence has paid off by the look of it, how 'green' is the wood, you might want to keep it away from any radiators for a few months just in case.

At that size I think you had better start saving for the Xmas fruit selection bill now.

Nice looking piece there Bill, I'm beginning to think you've got some sort of Oak fetish!, lol!!.

CHJ":l1ow6h1z said:
Great persistence has paid off by the look of it, how 'green' is the wood, you might want to keep it away from any radiators for a few months just in case.

At that size I think you had better start saving for the Xmas fruit selection bill now.
Hi Chas The timber was Cut On The day Of Isca show in June with a demo on log planking also its a present for my son he is currently saving his pennies and working overtime to fill it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Bill

Hi Bill,
If you are going to make a habit of this, you're going to need a longer car! :wink:

It looks like the effort was worth it in the end!

Well I can tell you it will not remain round, as it dries out it will shrink to an oval shape and on no account allow it to dry out too fast or it will crack. I made a green oak salad bowl 25" in dia and 6" deep kept it oiled every day for 6 months it went slightly oval and one small crack, told the lady I made it for to oil it at least once a week to start with then once a month and never leave it near a heat source. that was a year ago now and I haven't heard that it has split apart :D

Hi Bill,

Well done!! I was there at the "birth" you might say as I too saw the pieces being cut and have similar in my wood store (from the same tree trunk if I remember correctly). Due to family circumstances I have not been near my lathe for the best part of 6 months. When I do get there, I hope to be able to produce something as good as yours. Keep on going (and posting pictures)!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back