North Cornwall calling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Cobbs, I live on a small holding in North Cornwall, run an online abrasive shop, enjoy gardening (fruit and veg), make cheese and cider and butcher wood occasionally, as well stone, when I'm in the mood.

Good morning and welcome to the club, I also enjoy growing veg and a few soft fruits , and of course wood working is my no1 🤗🤗
Thanks Bingy! To be honest, I'm not sure what my number one is these days - I used to live for turning, but now I only do it when I need to as part of something else - the drums for a wool carder for my partner being a recent example. Similarly, started out lettering in wood, but now prefer stone, so I suppose it's all just a continuum, which has the downside of never really mastering any one thing. But then, these days I only do what I want to do in the workshop, so it's not like I depend on it for a living...

Thanks Bingy! To be honest, I'm not sure what my number one is these days - I used to live for turning, but now I only do it when I need to as part of something else - the drums for a wool carder for my partner being a recent example. Similarly, started out lettering in wood, but now prefer stone, so I suppose it's all just a continuum, which has the downside of never really mastering any one thing. But then, these days I only do what I want to do in the workshop, so it's not like I depend on it for a living...
I completely agree- I left the constraints of working for b/gas for many years because of the pressure they put you under while doing a safety critical job . Due to other issues in my life it was just too much . Now i choose the jobs I want . It could be a garden clear out , new fence , a new gate etc . Next week I’m erecting a flat pack steel pergola. The week after I’m replacing the foul water drains to a large house .The only stone work I’ve done is a few brick walls, and many patios over the years .although my main trade is/ was a gas engineer being able to turn my hand to other jobs and do them to a good standard is what keeps me going . 🤗🤗

Bingy -variety really is the spice of life!

Phil, I'm a few miles north of Lanson (Launceston), about halfway to Bude. I live about 2 miles from where I grew up. Do I take it your around Camborne?

Last time I was down that way (long time ago) was for a meal in Carn Brea Castle. Pretty good food, if I remember right. Rarely go far west, not much fun in the winter and too many emmets in the summer, especially the last few years...

Bingy -variety really is the spice of life!

Phil, I'm a few miles north of Lanson (Launceston), about halfway to Bude. I live about 2 miles from where I grew up. Do I take it your around Camborne?
Not far from Cowslip then? (Mrs HJ spends a fair bit of time there)

Couple of miles as the crow flies. As a cider maker myself, I went to a couple of cider making days there over the years, but sadly Steve, the cider man died a while ago, so I'm not sure if there will be any more. They had a huge press that came out of another local farm, very impressive and put mine to shame. Made the pulp with a modern machine though, which I thought was a pity - an old granite cider mill would have been better, but they sell for thousands these days, for planters in posh peoples' gardens.

Welcome to the madhouse.
Cor! This brings back memories of being an emmet going down to visit my mother and stepfather who lived for 20 years or so on the crossroads at Egloskerry. Step brother still lives just down the road in Tregeare.
Enjoy the forum.
Martin

Back