No. 7 needing a fettle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsworth

Established Member
Reaction score
Well i finally got my hands on a no. 7 I've been doing a bit of research on fettling hand planes and came across one process where you use bar battery charger and a solution of water and washing soda.

Has anyone done this? Is it safe to do this? Is there a better way to do this?

This is the link i found on the topic.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

Thanks for your input.

No. I bought the stuff to do it, soda, cheapo battery charger from Lidl, but never did it. I'm told the battery charger may not have been a 100% good idea, though.
I'd like to hear from someone who's done it, too.

Ive done it i, left the plane (stripped of all components) and left it over night in a well ventilated shed. You,ll be amazed at all the gunk thats floating in the bucket. A google search will give you quite a lot of sites showing this method

erm. I cleaned it before i put it in there was no wood or dust on it. I've had it in for about three hours now. So i took it out and gave it a good washing down I'm starting to see some shinny bits, quite impressive. Can i leave it in over night without worrying?

edit: thanks halken that's what i was wondering, already the top of the water looks like a rusty head on guiness.

woodsworth":2bhfzla6 said:
erm. I cleaned it before i put it in there was no wood or dust on it. I've had it in for about three hours now. So i took it out and gave it a good washing down I'm starting to see some shinny bits, quite impressive. Can i leave it in over night without worrying?

edit: thanks halken that's what i was wondering, already the top of the water looks like a rusty head on guiness.
You can leave it until there is no liquid left at all if you like, it won't do any harm, it just turns into a goopy substance that you wash away.

Well i've taken it out this morning and all the rust is gone but it didn't come out shiny. It is kinds blackish looking, do i need to leave it in longer or is there a next step in the fettling that takes care of that?

It seems some of the rust was under the paint as giving it a rub as removed some of the paint where it was pitted. Does anyone know where i can find that blue to repaint it?

Thanks

I'm assuming you mean Record blue - Japlac (a brand of ICI) used to do a fair colour match 'Navy Blue', but they stopped doing it. I managed to track some down via a Dulux decorator centre - they initially denied all knowledge of it, but the chap said he'd have a look for me. Called me back later that day having tracked some down in a different store - worth a go...

The black gunk should just scrub off easily.

woodsworth":1yvqj67g said:
Does anyone know where i can find that blue to repaint it?
Recordcollector has tracked down R.J. Stokes & Co. Ltd www.rjstokes.co.uk as the supplier of Record blue - their Roundel Blue. However, if I remember correctly, your plane is a Woden, so I don't know if that is correct for your plane.

British racing green would look nice.... 8) :lol:

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks for the replies. I've popped an e-mail to see if i can get a pot of the blue and bookmarked the blue hammerite on ebay if i can't get a pot of the other. The hammerite looks good because i can spray it.

As for the black I've scrubbed it twice with a green pad and jiff cleaner to no avail. Is there something stronger i should be using? I wouldn't really care but as i want to use it to join guitar tops i don't want the black coming off on the seam.

Thanks so much! We both shall quietly thanks this nameless person then won't we. It is bare metal.

Latest posts

Back