Newbie needs some help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choice

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Complete novice and obviously loaded with questions but firstly can anyone advise the best way to cut out a circular housing to fit a tea light in end grain? my son is going mental turning some pieces and wanting to drill into end grain and set a tea light in the top as a candleholder. Any ideas diameter about 40mm. Thanks.

choice":3dgvylou said:
Hi everyone. Complete novice and obviously loaded with questions but firstly can anyone advise the best way to cut out a circular housing to fit a tea light in end grain? my son is going mental turning some pieces and wanting to drill into end grain and set a tea light in the top as a candleholder. Any ideas diameter about 40mm. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at this current topic:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=16948

Note I have edited the thread referred to to show a sample picture.

An indication of your location would help, someone close may be able to help out in this instance with the completion if the tools/chucks etc. are not available.

Just a quick thought - based on my personal learning curve!

It is v v easy to cut the recess just a tad too wide - a touch of the 'just a wee bit more.....'.

Measure carefully, and be prepared to stop frequently to check!

I mark the size out on the end (with the lathe turning) using calipers with one end that's pointed, don't kow technical name for them, they were given to me, and then cut the recess as Chas said with a parting tool until it is just short of the line. The rest comes down to size with sanding. Make sure it isn't a tight fit though as you will find that it may shrink a bit after it has cooled off.

Pete

Back