Name that Jargon Quiz (no.1)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought i'd start of for a bit of fun - a new quiz based on jargon. I'll present the jargon and you have to guess what the item/product it pertains to.

So, here goes:

"The apparatus includes a self-imaging waveguide (SIWG) with parallel reflective elements that have a length that is an integer multiple of the self-imaging or Talbot length of the waveguide or an integer fraction of this self-imaging length"

Hint: It's a very cutting edge piece of technology AND something that was in the imagination of a bearded american during the Seventies!

Green gets it! Although I suspected this would die off very quickly due to cheating with google.

Ohwell. I'll add another in due time.

You could always ask something like "What's a relishing head?". I did that a few months ago and - nothing :shock: . Googel doesn't always come up trumps :roll:

Scrit

Many years ago I wanted to make a workbench in my garage which would fold down against the wall, it therefore required legs when lifted to make it rigid. I put a bolt in the bottom of the legs and made a hole in the floor to hold the bolts, needless to say holes soon filled with dirt.
I remembered that when they pulled the climbing bars out from the walls at school that they locked into the floor and as it was a gymnasium floor there was a sort of sprung disc that blocked the hole when not in use.
Sooooo of I went to, and here's one for the oldies Comyn Ching who were then in Old St. and explained what I wanted.
"Oh yes sir" he says, "you need- A dust excluding floor socket-"
Don't know why I told that story, Oh yes useless jargon :)

Dom

Green":pymzfoy8 said:
Come on you made that up.
Nope, honestly, see......

ntm_70303a.jpg

Scrit

Can i chuck in the idea that the mortice chisel does the haunching of the mortice and the relish part is that cutter after it , making relishing the removal of the bead to the level of the rebate on sash stock .

On the subject of 'relishing', I did include the definition I found near the end of the 'Oh Name That Machine, Where Art Thou?' thread.

The details I included were:-

Relish \Rel"ish\, n. (Carp.)
The projection or shoulder at the side of, or around, a
tenon, on a tenoned piece. --Knight.

If I remember rightly I found this in one of the dictionaries that Google linked to.

MisterFish

Thank you for correcting my error of ommission :oops: So now we know. I think

Scrit

was I the only one that noticed that the "relishing" machine was made by "Pickles" :)
If this were April 1st.....

Many, many years ago, I once had a bird that I relished... a lot!
Dunno where she is now though, is she still getting relished? I think we should be told... :roll:
Martin

Latest posts

Back