My first router table... for £0

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, at the weekend I had reached the point in my garden furniture project where I had to cut some tenons - 64 of them - so decided that it was time I made a router table, because that was going to be quicker than any other way I have of cutting them.

However, having recently bought a P/T, I was kinda broke and didn't want to spend much money... so set myself a task of making something usable for no money at all, using stuff I had lying around. Many thanks to those who offered advice on this - got some good ideas I managed to include.

routertable1.jpg

Main table is a left over bit from a glossy kitchen cabinet side panel - laminated with another bit of MDF and braced front and back with some oak. Acquired a bit of 6mm acrylic which should be OK for my smallish router. Note router incident when cutting recess for it.

routertable2.jpg

Precision fence positioning system - glad I bought a couple of these rules when they were on offer at Axminster a couple of weeks ago.

routertable3.jpg

Custom, hand-crafted fence locking knobs. Also dust extraction box on back of fence - actually works quite well.

routertable4.jpg

Um, this is supposed to be an NVR switch, I know.

routertable5.jpg

Integrated cable management.

It's certainly not the deluxe model, but for no outlay at I don't think it's too bad. Will definitely make a fancier model one day - but until then this certainly seems serviceable. (But do feel free to poke fun at it and/or my frugality!)

Matthew

Looks great and if it works why change it :D I never even thought of making my own and the trouble i've had with the last two router tables ( Trend and Record ) I wish i had made my own and saved a few hundred quid !
Well done :)

Nice job =D>

It looks a whole lot more professional than you would expect for the outlay.
Is it nice to use ?

Andrew

looks great especially for £0.
i have been thinking about making one, after seeing how you did yours i think i might have ago.

Looks pretty good to me Matthew.......I think thats the same DeWalt as I have(621k) doesn't it have a deadmans switch on it? How are you going to router running whilst using the table?

I might have a go at this kind of table as I have a few glossy panels left over from from the Kitchen and bedroom.....hmmmm....

SimonA

Thanks for the comments!

PowerTool":25uv1vnq said:
Is it nice to use ?
Well, I've not used a router table before but it seems fine. Surface is quite smooth - added a little wax to help. Fence is square and is solid when locked down. Adjustment probably isn't as easy as with an incra :) but the rules actually work quite well. As does the dust extraction - as long as I don't try to take too much off, it catches all the dust when the T30 is plugged in.

SimonA":25uv1vnq said:
I think thats the same DeWalt as I have(621k) doesn't it have a deadmans switch on it?
Good question! You can actually lock the switch on. I didn't know about it at first because its incredibly unintuitive and hard to describe how. 'Main switch' is large switch that you pull with fingers. 'Lock switch' is smaller switch you press with thumb.

As normal, push lock switch and pull main switch to power on. Now, while holding main switch in, push lock switch a little more and slowly release main switch. Voila! It locks! That's the best I can explain it - give it a few goes and you'll get it, hopefully knowing it can be done will help.

Also, if you plan to do this, it's worth getting the fine height adjuster if you don't already have it (mine came with it). While not especially well designed, it makes using the router in a table much easier than the plunge.

Matthew

Cheers for that Matthew! I never knew you could lock the switch off....you learn something new every day!

I've also read that some people have taken the springs out of the plunge cylinders so thats its easier to use when upside down.........

SimonA
PS do you have any bigger photos that you could send me.....I think I might have a shot at building one of these as I could do with a router table every so oftern!

I fitted a Woodrat plunge bar to my router...it makes setting bit height a doddle in the table and also useful when hand-held.

cheers

George

Talking of Woodrat Plunge bars, following the recent demise of my Trend T9 I have a spare set of type F bars sitting around for anyone who would like them, though if you wouldn't mind covering the postage that would be good. Come to that I've a spare T9 for a restoration project :wink: .

First to pm me gets it/them.

EDIT: These are now both spoken for.

Matthew

A good looking functional RT, it really makes a difference to the pocket when you make it yourself, also you get it the way you want it.

Back