My first platter for C&C

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyMan

Established Member
Reaction score
I finished it on Saturday but due to being a noobie I was a tad confused on the entry cutoffs. Still I am quite pleased with it.

What I first thought was spalting turned out to be good old fashioned decay I think, tried a few things to stabilise it for final cutting and sanding but I think parts were too far gone to save. Maybe a few tips?

size is 10", Wood looks like cherry with light areas but cant be sure as the bark was silvery and not like any other cherry I have here (I am not too good on identifying wood yet) any ideas? Was very hard but then it was a very old dry log.

Turned using 5/8 bowl gouge, spindle gouge and shear scraper, bottom finishing was done using an improvised friction chuck (slightly off centre as you can see) and a light hand.

Sanded to 400, shelac sanding sealer then beeswax/carnauba wax mixture applied in a haphazard (unresearched) manner so did not take too well, good lesson learned though on applying wax.

platter1top640x480.jpg

platter1side640x480.jpg

platter1bottom640x480.jpg

New lathe arrived yesterday ( :D ) and its motivated me to remodel the shed, chuck thread adapter on its way tomorrow so hopefully I can take my turning up a notch now

newlathe640x480.jpg

Now to get it on its stand and fill the empty floor with shavings again, doesnt look right cleanly swept in there

really nice and simple Simon - the top view really shows of the grain streaming across the surface. Shame you didn't get to enter as I suspect it would have appealed to the judges.

In terms of the decay did you try many coats of sanding sealer? Some use superglue but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Miles

Hi all,

Thanks for the encouraging comments, much appreciated.
I did put a couple of coats on but I may not have been applying quite as much as I should, with hindsight I should have soaked the dry rot bit with a brush instead of applying with a cloth but I suppose thats how we learn these things.

On to the eggcups, another first for me, I have mainly concentrated on bowls, its good to have a challenge to motivate you to try something different.

just wrapped it up and presented it to the mother in law for her birthday as she is an oil painting arty type and appreciates anything crafted, she was over the moon.

extra brownie points for me :D

Hi,

just seen the platter - like it very much.

The grain reminds me of Jupiter with a giant storm swirling!! For those who have read previous posts - makes a change from sheep!

Latest posts

Back