'Moxon' add-on vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been following the Stateside interest in these for quite some time, and decided to make a couple (the reason for 2 will follow).
Basically the idea of raising the workpiece sometimes is useful I think, and a bench height is a compromise: lower to get over the work, higher to work into the piece.
Anyway, without a whole bench to build at the moment, the fingers were getting a bit itchy.
An Axminster 1 1/2" screw cutter, some bits of beech and a scrap of oak:
v1.jpg

The Axi screw -cutter is really good for £40. I needed a couple of practice shots first, but it works very well. I would say the linseed soak is really worthwhile. And I did a silly thing. I thought back the cutter off and take 2 bites, but obviously the reduced thread depth won't clear the threaded exit guide in the die, so wrong. Go to depth in one hit.
The pitch is slow compared to the big custom-made wooden vice screws, it is 6tpi, but it is OK for a small-scale vice.
The twin-screw is a really interesting vice anyway with talents all of its own - in particular clamping close to one screw and use the second to apply final clamping (leverage effect), or clamp outside of one screw and back the further one to tighten more. I like twin-screws.
V2 will have a few small mods, so I'll report back. V1 is 'going out for test' later this week. That means part repaying the Jim debt :lol:

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 915
Douglas,

I like this a lot. For V2, would it be worth having 2 additional holes tapped, so that should the need arise to dovetail a wider board, the vice will be able to do so between screws? Your may be able to- it is difficult to judge the scale, other than using the vice below.

Good work

Mark

Having monitored the thoughts and progress of this project I am delighted at the outcome.

I look forward to playing with it this week and will of course post my observations.

I simply love the medullary rays on the oak bosses...lovely!

Jim

Hi Mark, understand I think. The clearance between screws was set at 9" (imperial, that) and there is a compromise as the 2 legs need to fit within a typical bench-vice face. It's easy to make it longer / wider... and my main twin screw will take 22" between screws, but the main use of this for me is smaller components. But you are right that it can be made easily to suit what you want to use it for, and the main bench it needs to fit onto.
Two mods to go in by the way - the left cheek is wider than the right (beyond the screws) - a fairly deep vee in both faces, vertical to fix small round shapes (tool handles etc), and a leather face to one side. That improves grip immensely. I meant to put the vee in before assembling the handles (which replace the need for garters)... it'll be a right sod now #-o

and p.s. Jim - it's a functional tool, get over the rays. I'll say they appeared by accident :lol:

Update time. Had a couple of 'issues' with v1. Due to hand it over tomorrow for test, but was not happy.
I've put the vertical vees facing each other to the left side (beyond the left screw) - router for that, noting the screws are fixed in now as the boss/handle is also effectively the garter.
Then decided the handles were no good - bad engineering, the walls are too thin relative to the big 28mm hole for the shaft, so they came off (rays n all).
Have turned a 3rd smaller dia down for the handles, so they step-reduce at the front face thickness. New ash handles. May be OK now but the bond for the handle takes all the shear when you tighten the vice, so possibly not, we will see.
A possible mod coming up is to pin through the handle and shaft, making the pin a lever to close the vice also. I'll do some pics maybe.
Good news is it is freeing up as the oil dries a bit.

I think that red leather vice faces would set it off a treat. ALthough keeping it British, perhaps BRG would be more apt?

Yes, I was planning leather to one face (don't really need both, another Mr Maguire tip) and have some tan coming. English and all that but red?..., BRG?. I rather think not (hammer)
Honestly. You northerners.

condeesteso":3etaw3zg said:
The twin-screw is a really interesting vice anyway with talents all of its own - in particular clamping close to one screw and use the second to apply final clamping (leverage effect), or clamp outside of one screw and back the further one to tighten more. I like twin-screws.

The old catalogues list small, cheap, twin screw wooden vises, and these are often shown as the vise of choice on workbench plans and designs aimed at the home handyman prior to roughly 1920. Cheap and versatile.

Ron Hickman used a twin screw vise as the basis of the workmate...

BugBear

Nice work as ever Douglas - your idea of 'bits of beech' is a few grades above mine!
I've also been following this development on several US blogs and had vaguely thought about making one, wondering if my 3/4" threading kit would be big enough.

There was one idea I read somewhere (can't find it now) saying to put the holes offset from the centre line of the long jaws, so you can use it on the bench as a general purpose clamp with a wide side and a narrow side.

That's an interesting point about the Workmate - it would be funny if all this effort sent us back round in a loop to where some of us started. I'm kicking myself at not picking up a scrap Workmate I saw a while back, just to get the screw mechanism. I think Ron Hickman did a good job choosing the right thread form for a good compromise between rapid action and tightness.

AndyT":yyi4z88l said:
I'm kicking myself at not picking up a scrap Workmate I saw a while back, just to get the screw mechanism. I think Ron Hickman did a good job choosing the right thread form for a good compromise between rapid action and tightness.

As the proud owner of three of these things....I would like to donate one to the University ( :mrgreen: ) Professor.

I believe we may be passing the same way sometime soon?

Jim

AndyT":3fwjd6h0 said:
I think Ron Hickman did a good job choosing the right thread form for a good compromise between rapid action and tightness.

IIRC, the thread was one of the things B&D changed from the workmate Mk1 when they bought the rights.

BugBear

Nice job Douglas. I have a 'Moxon' planned for my new bench too, but I am going to make it easy on myself, and use two 'York' vice screws I got from Axminster.

I do have an old Workmate that is in need of replacement, and it struck me that I could use the screws from that to make a 'benchtop' add on bench. So many ideas, so little time left!

Nice work again. Smart Moxon. :)

bugbear":2medbg7z said:
AndyT":2medbg7z said:
I think Ron Hickman did a good job choosing the right thread form for a good compromise between rapid action and tightness.

IIRC, the thread was one of the things B&D changed from the workmate Mk1 when they bought the rights.

And over the years B&D changed just about everything in their relentless quest to dumb down the Workmate. A great shame because the original Workmate, manufactured by Mate Tools, was brilliant. Mine has been working hard for over 40 years and still works as well as it did the day I bought it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Yes, good point re the Workmate - had overlooked that but we have all used a workmate, and it's the 2-screw tricks of that which I find handy and interesting.
re the offset Andy, I did that, left side a good bit wider than right, as clamping outside of the screws is very impressive and can give better access.
Anyway, over to Jim to give it a workout-mate.
(were those original Workmates the cast frame unpainted ones? - made proper-like)

That's a great link BB - someone with 20 Workmates finds a reason to buy another! We only have two here - my wife's one and my one - both newer than that lovely one, and lacking the Roubo-esque hefty top.

I just received V1 to test...so that and another thread up soon once I process the pictures.

It is stunningly well made...the blinkin' wedges in the bosses even point up together when it is parallel.... :shock:

I have a funny feeling this may live in my other vise a lot of the time!

Jim

I have asked Jim to work this v1 quite hard, as it is better to find its limits at this stage. I do have a v2 part-built anyway.
John - the Yorks will be very powerful, and I cannot remember the pitch but may move quicker than my wood ones (6tpi). The handles will need shortening I expect and it is important they don't hit each other in the middle. It'll work very well I'm sure but probably quite heavy. Are there smaller York-type screws around? Of course it depends on the scale vice you need - I just wanted a compact one for fairly small work. For most uses, I could actually make this smaller but the 9" (between screws) is ample I think.

Wasn't there a David Charlesworth review of the Axminster thread cutters recently, maybe in F&C?

Anyway I seem to recall that he thought (at least some of the Axminster sizes) weren't fit for purpose. I guess the 1 1/2" that you're using is working a treat. Anyone else remember that review?

The screws on V1 are perfect. Ok the pitch is a little fine but sometimes you need this.

I am so busy playing with it at the moment that the review and photos will have to wait a while but I love the fact that I can position the work at the optimum height very quickly...I think this will certainly get some use!

Cheers Douglas!

Jim

Latest posts

Back