May be of interest - The Repair Shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":2fy1rf1d said:
Racers":2fy1rf1d said:
The shot of the metalworking lathe must have been filmed at the clockmakers workshop, so outside filming must have been done.

Pete
They actually installed a Myford lathe in that barn! Wether we saw real work being done on it, I know not.

(around 9:28 - 9:32 into the episode
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1
)

BugBear

I didn't spot that! I was eating lunch at the time.

Pete

Racers":7pik44nc said:
bugbear":7pik44nc said:
Racers":7pik44nc said:
The shot of the metalworking lathe must have been filmed at the clockmakers workshop, so outside filming must have been done.

Pete
They actually installed a Myford lathe in that barn! Wether we saw real work being done on it, I know not.

(around 9:28 - 9:32 into the episode
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1
)

BugBear

I didn't spot that! I was eating lunch at the time.

Pete

I didn't spot it at the time - I assumed it was (one of the few) real workshop shots.

Only iPlayer showed me the truth.

I put episode 2 on at 4x speed and silent while I had my tea last night - just as bad as ep1.

BugBear

Oh Dear

Yes, we, on this forum have expertise beyond that of the average Tea Time viewer. So by all means those who feel so superior, don't bother. For those of us who want to pick up a few tips outside our craft, watch something where items are repaired and see how some repairs need more than one expert, I'm sure will be watching most of the rest of the series. There are some seriously talented and knowledgeable crafts people on it; I particularly liked the Magic Lantern; the care to re-colour the brass to match 100+ year old was great.

After all, it is much better to show that things CAN be repaired than give way to the modern 'Broken so throw it away' mentality. In any case, too much time spent showing a particular aspect of repair would have ensured that the program wasn't made

Finally, yes, seeing something restored which you remember as a child may well bring on tears. What's the problem!

Phil

treeturner123":3fjm697t said:
Finally, yes, seeing something restored which you remember as a child may well bring on tears. What's the problem!

Phil

They seem to press people on the news/TV to get them to cry, its not a nice thing IMHO.

Pete

It's not Roy Underhill, but it's better than Coronation Street *shrug*

Just watched the first one ...
I think we must start at the beginning and realise that programmes like this are not aimed at most people here. Odd things annoyed me, like matey's leather apron (that had never seen a days work) and the way some tools were held - it made it look like they'd never be used before. The out of focus photography? Who on earth thinks that smart?
It is a pity as well the way the world has gone that I would think with the possible exception of the accordion nothing fixed would have justified the expense it incurred if these people were charging you a market rate.
Still, more interesting than most dross and if it encourages someone, great.

Given there are all too few programmes on TV like this I was quite glad to see it.

I didn't watch it, but from what I gather a lot of the new and previously more in depth "craft" type shows are dumbing down. I read the other day that "wheeler dealers" Edd China is leaving because the new producers are cutting out the majority of the work he did in the workshop and essentially showing the "before and after" glory shots with little of the stuff of him getting stuck in, which he quite rightly felt was the core of the show, which was the bit most people seemed to like going by replies to the announcement.

I'm not surprised to learn this is more of the same, which I think is a real shame, as learning and seeing the work done to renovate these sorts of items might give people a better appreciation of it; but instead it just becomes a niche show of little interest to the majority of the public, not even to those who might otherwise have in interest like our members and all those like us.

I'd wager we won't even see a second series.

It is worth watching the show before rubbishing it. In episode three they repaired a Davenport that had been wrecked by burglars too dim to identify false drawers. The young man doing the repairs does not know much, but his purpose on the show is clearly to enthuse other young people to get into woodwork and restoration. This is a good thing. The final repair was a bit of a bodge but looked satisfactory I suppose. The guy who does the clock repairs clearly knows what he is doing. The show host appears to be a Festool collector so I am surprised members here are not flocking to it!

AJB Temple":3lcqhtd8 said:
It is worth watching the show before rubbishing it. In episode three they repaired a Davenport that had been wrecked by burglars too dim to identify false drawers. The young man doing the repairs does not know much, but his purpose on the show is clearly to enthuse other young people to get into woodwork and restoration. This is a good thing. The final repair was a bit of a bodge but looked satisfactory I suppose. The guy who does the clock repairs clearly knows what he is doing. The show host appears to be a Festool collector so I am surprised members here are not flocking to it!
The show host (Jay?) is an upholsterer isn't he?

At least it's a change from yet another bl**dy cookery program. Or pretentious twits driving around the countryside touring antique (junk) shops and paying over the top for tat.

Latest posts

Back