LV BU Jack Plane Rear Tote

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompon44

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've received this beautiful plane from Canada a few days ago, and got a chance this afternoon to use it during a couple of hours. Cuts really nicely, but I noticed quite rapidly a (small) pain in my right hand palm (the one on the back tote), roughly between the thumb and forefinger.

I was wondering if other users of that plane got that problem ? And if it is permanent (I mean, the first time I made a 8 hours trek, I did have a pain in the legs ;-) ) ?

Regards,

I believe Derek Cohen made new handles in Jarrah for his Veritas planes and did a full and very interesting write up withe photos etc. I seem to remember it was because he found the shape didn't quite suit him.

I'll have a rummage and post a link if I can find it.

pompon44":1mesi0qv said:
Hi,

I've received this beautiful plane from Canada a few days ago, and got a chance this afternoon to use it during a couple of hours. Cuts really nicely, but I noticed quite rapidly a (small) pain in my right hand palm (the one on the back tote), roughly between the thumb and forefinger.

I was wondering if other users of that plane got that problem ? And if it is permanent (I mean, the first time I made a 8 hours trek, I did have a pain in the legs ;-) ) ?

Regards,

I had the same pain at first. I found I had to change my grip a little, now there is no problem. http://www.traditionaltools.us/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=133

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the answer. That's reassuring. I'll keep at it then, and try to change my grip a bit to see how it goes.

Regards,

The first time I play golf every year I get blisters in my hands, they go away after a couple games :wink:

Never had a problem with any of the LV totes (I own a few of their planes...), but I know that there are people out there that find them "different" in feel from what they're used to... All I can say is that they work for me.

DC-C

I find the rear totes different but OK to use once I got used to them (I use the LV LA smoother, jack and try)...I wouldn't want to change them - Rob

Roger Nixon":sjlwwytu said:
I had the same pain at first. I found I had to change my grip a little, now there is no problem.

I use three different makes of bench planes - Record, Clifton and Veritas. The rear totes on the three makes are quite different and at first it used to bother me. However, like Roger, I've adjusted my grip and can now swap between the different planes and find them no trouble at all - I've concluded that I adjust my grip instinctively and don't even think about it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Previous reviewers of these planes from Veritas have mentioned that they are far more comfortable to use on benches that are higher than "normal" benchtops.
The more traditional handplane totes as seen on Lie Nielsen planes seem to work better on the lower standard height traditional benches.
Give yours a go on something a little higher and see if it makes any difference.

Martin Cash":23emrhks said:
Previous reviewers of these planes from Veritas have mentioned that they are far more comfortable to use on benches that are higher than "normal" benchtops.
The more traditional handplane totes as seen on Lie Nielsen planes seem to work better on the lower standard height traditional benches.
Give yours a go on something a little higher and see if it makes any difference.

Modern workbenches are quite high, since power tool work has different ergonomics to heavy stock-prep type planing.

Bench height is always a compromise, since "optimum" height varies with the task.

BugBear

BB wrote:
Bench height is always a compromise, since "optimum" height varies with the task.
True enough BB. I've set my bench height at that recommended by Alan Peters...inside leg measurement plus 50mm - Rob

I have done quite a bit of experimentation and modification of the LV totes.

In the smaller planes, such as the LA Smoother, which is quite light, the original tote is too vertical and benefits from some angling to increase downward pressure.

Here is my replacement She-oak tote (and matching knob). Rob Lee had a good sense of humor about this and put in an order for a few thousand. I am still making them ... two done so far ...

LVLAS2.jpg

The larger, heavier planes really do not need much down force, even on a lower bench (although the action is more natural in that situation). I modified the one on my LV LA Jack because I found it too thick for my average-sized paw. In this case I took the original tote and reshaped it ...

Here you can see it in the foreground with the original in the background (on a BU Jointer):

LVLAJ1.jpg

And you know what? I did not like it - it was too small for this plane. The original tote is actually pretty good. So I carved a new one out of Jarrah. This one is still vertical (not quite as much as the original), but a better match for my hand. I'm afraid that the only image I have to hand is one at a poor angle (and set up for the shooting board, along with the hotdog handle I made):

Hotdog-4.jpg

Note that this is still a double-bolt fit - the second bolt runs half-way up the inside of the tote, enough to stablize it.

The re-shaped tote from the LA Jack went to the BU Smoother, and it is a good match on that plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

Nice totes ;-)

I'm afraid I'm too much a beginner to attempt a new tote on my own right now... This will have to wait for my skills to increase a bit ;-)

So I'll have to live with the original tote for a while, I guess !

Thanks for the answers, guys,

Regards,

Did you do a full article on making that, Derek?

Hi BB

No - never had the time. I generally point all in the direction of Alf's excellent article in this regard.

Incidentally (not meaning to hijack the thread but I know you will find this interesting), I have just upgraded my little Canon 540 to a Canon EOS 400D. Now I need to make your light tent.

Pictures of the two above LV planes planing jarrah taken yesterday building a cabinet:

BUSshavings.jpg

LAJshavings.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Incidentally (not meaning to hijack the thread but I know you will find this interesting), I have just upgraded my little Canon 540 to a Canon EOS 400D. Now I need to make your light tent.

For web use, almost anything is good enough; checking my references, all these were taken on my Canon A60 (2 megapixels, remember those days?)

tyzack120.JPG

saw_after_handle.JPG

gic2006.JPG

BugBear

Those are some great totes, Derek. Especially the sheoak on the BUS. That long spur and the curves are a visual treat and I'll bet they feel great as well.

Latest posts

Back