Louisiana Creole Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is nice. Some projects shown are mediocre and you say well done because you would like the same said about your own, but I really do like that, and all by hand too...superb! ;-)

John15":1uwidogy said:
Very nice table Steve. Excuse my ignorance but what timber is it?

Cheers,

John

Africa or Asian meranti, nice to work, the grain is nice and straight no knots and it's not much harder than soft wood.

Hi Steve,

Very nice job.

What finish did you use to maintain the wood colour?

I have a project in mind for a small table and have some red meranti available, I have quite often been disappointed by a finish not ending up the colour I had intended!!

cheers

Steve

Cracking job, and planing in a metalwork vice can't be easy.

Pete

Steveshj":2n2hkkp2 said:
Hi Steve,

Very nice job.

What finish did you use to maintain the wood colour?

I have a project in mind for a small table and have some red meranti available, I have quite often been disappointed by a finish not ending up the colour I had intended!!

cheers

Steve

I dyed the wood first with a water based rosewood dye 2 coats then sanded 240 grit, the top and drawer front then got 2 coats of french polish then sanded 240 grit. Finished with Liberon wax, the shellac on the top and drawer front give it bit more of a shine so you get a nice contrasts with the sides and legs.
and thanks

phil.p":2ryoz0hr said:
Nicely made, but I find the shape of the legs very odd.

There should be more of a curve where the leg meets the skirt. I only had 40mm off cuts from a door i fitted. where as i really needed some 50mm timber.

Should have said its made from off cuts and left overs.

Thank

Steve1066":29h3tj0t said:
John15":29h3tj0t said:
Very nice table Steve. Excuse my ignorance but what timber is it?

Cheers,

John

Africa or Asian meranti, nice to work, the grain is nice and straight no knots and it's not much harder than soft wood.

It planes up deliciously to a nice satin finish without any sanding.

Latest posts

Back