Looking for a very short (ca 8" length) piece of steel flat bar 1½" wide - thickness not important

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Newton

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I found a previous post recommending Metal Mania as a supplier and I checked out their site. They have 1½" x ¼" and the shortest length they can supply is 250mm for £6.11. However delivery is £8.50 and I can't really justify spending £14.61 for what I need. The 1½" width is critical (38mm would be OK but not, for example, 40mm). Any ideas? Maybe somebody has something that would fit the bill? I would obviously be prepared to pay any reasonable cost including postage.

Hi Paul

Just look for a local scrapyard, engineering shop, farm equipment repairer, blacksmith, welder etc. Even your local tip / waste recycling centre is a possible source. 1/4" bar is very common but surely you have the ability to cut and file or grind the correct width out of a larger piece, even angle iron.

Out of interest I left the top off a home made security pedal lock made for our motorhome, at a caravan site just a week ago and it was cheaper for me to make a new one than have it posted. I bought an offcut of 40mm x 6mm x 300mm mild steel bar for the princely sum of £1.50

EDIT: Plenty of suppliers on ebay, you could file a few mm off the width, easy enough.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23279499...6eTQ%2Fjbr9iytazw%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:3458402

Last edited:
Hi Paul

Just look for a local scrapyard, engineering shop, farm equipment repairer, blacksmith, welder etc. Even your local tip / waste recycling centre is a possible source. 1/4" bar is very common but surely you have the ability to cut and file or grind the correct width out of a larger piece, even angle iron.

Out of interest I left the top off a home made security pedal lock made for our motorhome, at a caravan site just a week ago and it was cheaper for me to make a new one than have it posted. I bought an offcut of 40mm x 6mm x 300mm mild steel bar for the princely sum of £1.50

EDIT: Plenty of suppliers on ebay, you could file a few mm off the width, easy enough.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23279499...6eTQ%2Fjbr9iytazw%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:3458402
Thanks for your suggestions. After a bit more searching I found exactly what I wanted at rapidmetals.co.uk - 2 off 38.1mm x 7.9mm x 100mm - £2.40 (excl VAT) + £4.00 Postage (excl VAT) - Total £7.68 (incl VAT). With most suppliers it's the delivery charge which is the absolute killer!

Latest posts

Back