Liogier hand stitched rasps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Giles

The biggest tool in the box
Reaction score
I've just bought a couple from Dieter Schmid Fine Tools.

They came well packaged in a vast cardboard box, each in its own plastic tube

P1070837.jpg

They both look very well made, the handles are tight and comfortable. Nothing flash about them. 1895 pennies included in the photo for scale :)

P1070838.jpg

Here's a closer look at the 250mm 9 cut cabinet rasp.

P1070840.jpg

and the 200mm 12 cut round rasp

P1070843.jpg

More to come when I get around to using them, which I hope will be later today.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1070837.jpg
    P1070837.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,117
  • P1070838.jpg
    P1070838.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,116
  • P1070840.jpg
    P1070840.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,112
  • P1070843.jpg
    P1070843.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,120
Looking forward to an update on this, as mentioned in your other thread I have some Auriou rasps. Interested in your opinion on these. Always a toss between Liogier and Auriou when I buy a new rasp. You will not be disappointed, they luck the mutts nuts.

I got over my longing for fine hand-stitched rasps the first time I used a DIY sandpaper file 8)

Good buy. This side of a power tool nothing else will remove material faster and with more control!

ED65":iq4pj022 said:
I got over my longing for fine hand-stitched rasps the first time I used a DIY sandpaper file 8)

Try a Shinto rasp. They are cheap, and they are fantastic for removing waste.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Is there a half round version though?
The OP is planning to shape a concave curve on a leg vice.

I have browsed the shinto saw rasps before and liked the idea, I may put one on my birthday list as they are a good present price and hopefully will mean I will avoid getting awful socks or other novelty tat that ultimately gets filed in the round filing cabinet! I can only see flat versions but I'm sure there will be more uses for them than stripey socks :)

ED65":bqobzp3k said:
Obviously not so fast as a rasp, but I keep the hard cardboard tubes from aluminium foil and stick abrasive paper from 60 - 240 grit around them with pva. I always have several already made up ready to use.

phil.p":h2a9argk said:
ED65":h2a9argk said:
Obviously not so fast as a rasp, but I keep the hard cardboard tubes from aluminium foil and stick abrasive paper from 60 - 240 grit around them with pva. I always have several already made up ready to use.
Great idea. I never thought of that before.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No matter how many times I use one I always find it surprising and impressive how smooth a finish is possible with a rasp when the rasp looks & feels so rough. My rasps are anonymous brands I inherited or obtained used from flea markets but are still very useful tools. How much better would a hand-stitched rasp be? But then I suppose my rasps could be hand stitched and I just don't know it.

Machine made rasps tend to have teeth that are evenly spread/lined up, and they do not go to the edge of the rasp. Hand stitched rasps have teeth that stagger and run to the edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ED65":2zs7m5im said:

Try a Shinto rasp. They are cheap, and they are fantastic for removing waste.
Thanks Derek, have had them recommended to me before and I'd love to try one. But actually for gross material removal I'm pretty happy with coarse machine-cut rasps as I don't find the regimented rows of teeth the big issue that many do. Once I got hands-on with them I quickly learned the technique to avoid leaving terrible track marks.

More recently I've tried something akin to the Kutzall rasps, made using carbide bonded to a steel core similar to how diamond plates are made. The cheaper versions made for tilers and for stonework are very inexpensive, and I picked mine up at a car boot for a Euro. It had one errant chunk of abrasive sitting about 0.5mm high that left lines in the work, once that was knocked off with a careful chisel strike it cut exactly as well as I'd hoped and being a half-round it's a superb little all-rounder.

phil.p":2zs7m5im said:
ED65":2zs7m5im said:
For woodwork the coarsest I've made used some vintage EAC 70-grit flint paper, which cut really well but didn't stay aggressive for long. I'd been meaning to try 40-grit resin-bonded paper but once I got the tile rasp I mention above to Derek that's been put on the back burner for now. I've made abrasive files for metalwork with wet 'n' dry up to 400 or 600 grit.

Once grains/grit are being compared fairly evenly I'm not so sure they are slower compared to hand-cut rasps, in part because of their handy ability to cut on both the pull and the push stroke. But of course abrasives cut equally in any direction, which I find particularly handy in any rasp/file type tool.

El Barto":2zs7m5im said:
On the subject of rasps, has anyone tried Corradi's offerings? I've heard good things about them and they're reasonably priced...
User reviews of Corradi's rasps as well as some direct comparisons with hand-stitched rasps are very favourable.

In addition to the smoother surface coupled with the fast rate of material removal they cost quite a bit less but last longer. Auriou rasps in particular are noted for being a little on the softer side generally, and because the hardening is still done by hand and eye (!) the occasional one ends up not being hardened properly and wears out fast.

I had 5 minutes spare today so did a very quick and dirty test. First the flat side. Here are the tools, first a Bahco, then a Narex, then the Liogier then a random no brand strange rasp with rows of blades that has found itself into my toolbox from somewhere.

P1070852.jpg

then I used each tool in turn in the same order from left to right on a bit of ash, about an inch thick. This is not supposed to be a comparative test, but I did 7 passes with each tool. They are different cuts, widths etc. so it doesn't really prove much.

P1070851.jpg

Then the half round/round test. The tools are Liogier round rasp, then the Narex half round side, then the Liogier cabinet rasp half round side.

P1070856.jpg

and the same bit of ash but with the round sides of the tools, unfortunately the flash on the light ash wasn't a good idea, I was in a rush so didn't check to image.

P1070854.jpg

There's not much to conclude from the comparison, at least not from 7 passes with each tool, however the Liogier was very nice to use in the hand and did remove material well.

More when I get around to use them on a proper job.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1070852.jpg
    P1070852.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 564
  • P1070851.jpg
    P1070851.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 563
  • P1070856.jpg
    P1070856.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 562
  • P1070854.jpg
    P1070854.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 565
Hand stitched rasps wether Liogier or Aurio are fantastic for fine work. But for big material remove and for the small money, Iwasaki file rasps are the best option in my opinion.

Hand stitched rasps wether Liogier or Aurio are fantastic for fine work. But for big material remove and for the small money, Iwasaki file rasps are the best option in my opinion.

Pedder for using on saw handles shaped initially on the bandsaw, what ones would you use, medium, fine, extra file etc?

Cheers, Iain

I have some hand stitched rasps from workshop heaven. Have to say I really like using them and are much nicer to use than the machine ones I have.

Back