Lime burr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Started having a go at this thing this afternoon, I'm fairly sure it's lime
IMG_20140903_181954.jpg

Got as far as roughing the outside. It's pretty soft and quite brittle, not sure how well it will hold together. TBC tomorrow...
IMG_20140902_152552.jpg

Attachments

ardenwoodcraft

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks a bit dangerous that one!

Hope you're covered up well against the hard bits flying everywhere!

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
that's a well done there old son. A very tricky piece to turn and no mistake. You've really max'd the size to what you had with the burr too and its a beauty. That would sell for a few quid in a decent gallery I'm sure.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
A brave thing to turn and a job well done. I have had a good read but you don't say what finish you have used on it

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Finish was a few coats of shellac & a few coats of wax

moby

Established Member
Reaction score
I like it.

I really do need to start this posting some of my attempts. Nothing as exotic as new zealand wood tho!

EnErY

Established Member
Reaction score
I Too have a lime burr waiting to be turned its very soft and I did remove the bark exposing the outer surface to give me a lumpy effect its as you say soft but its ready to turn now just hope it comes out as good as yours that's a lovely piece something that's a keeper for sure.
regards
Bill

razornut

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made up my mind... I'm new to this wool turning deal. And I now know burls are my favourite. After seeing this peace... Stunning. My vocabulary doesn't contain enough Words to describe how beautiful I think it is.<3

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice feedback. I have a much bigger birch burr to have a go at next week too, just need to remember my chainsaw as it needs trimming a bit before it goes on the lathe

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
That's a stunning bit of work - I wouldn't have expected anything like that amount of colour in lime. There's loads of it around here, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for some.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Great feat of turning , one for your home I would expect . Thank you for the WIP. it really helps to see pieces like this from start to finish .
You did a great job with the finish too ,shows it off to its full beauty . =D> =D>

EnErY

Established Member
Reaction score
Woodmonkey":4dh4zztc said:
Thanks for all the nice feedback. I have a much bigger birch burr to have a go at next week too, just need to remember my chainsaw as it needs trimming a bit before it goes on the lathe
I also have loads of silver birch burr just a tip don't let it go too far before turning coz it rots in front of your eyes
Regards
Bill