LEMON OIL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take care if your boxes are thin walled and open pored wood, don't be too lavish with its application, it basically penetrates and dries out like white spirit leaving the slower drying lemon oil aromatic behind.

If you have a different sealed finish on the outside it can get marred by the odd penetration of the oil through open pores or joints. (looks like wet patches)

As Chas says it's a very thin spirit type liquid, dries to a fairly matt surface, hardly oil like at all really.

I pretty much gave up using it in the end and went back to danish oil and hard wax oils as they gave more of gentle sheen and finish to the wood rather than soaking in and disappearing.

Just personal preference though, others may like it better !

Cheers, Paul

Also take care not to place treated items on a polished surface without a mat or barrier.

I sometimes use it on the inside of drawers so you get the smell when you open them. It is definitely a matt finish, but that's OK for internal areas!

Although I can't work out if it smells a bit artificial, and ever so slightly like the gents! But it does mellow after a bit!

George

George Johnson":v1kbls2g said:
Although I can't work out if it smells a bit artificial, and ever so slightly like the gents! But it does mellow after a bit!

George

Yes that White Spirit, or whatever the carrier is can be very pungent, I've taken to making sure any boxes, dried flower vases etc. similarly 'aroma'd' are left out somewhere with good ventilation for a while until the bulk of the carrier has evaporated.

Back