Laminated Pen Blanks:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all and Merry Christmas !

I'm thinking of laminating some Pen blanks in contrasting colours - Sycamore and Elm, that sort of thing, but can't get my head round how the sort of 'linear' effect in the blank transposes to that in the finished article - does anybody know what I mean.....or should I have stayed away from Asda's finest Californian Red a bit longer ?

If anyone can point me to something on the web, before and after...it would be most appreciated !

Chris.

Scrums":2ka2bxf3 said:
.....or should I have stayed away from Asda's finest Californian Red a bit longer ?

Chris.

Noooooo i find my best ideas come to mind after a schooner or three, problem is remembering them in the morning.

Which way are you thiking of laminating them? Horizontally or verticaly? Verticle is easy, just glue as series of your contrasting woods onto the brass tube. Horizontally, just make sure that the mating faces are completely flat.

I have used contrasting woods a couple of times when the wood at the end of the tube has split. I just cut it back and put another bit on the end and turned it down to match. I like the effect. The one on the right is one of them

Pens2.jpg

The colouring above the inset is the colour of the olive wood, the inset is black walnut.

Well, I tried some out and the results I'm not sure about.....your comments would be most welcome, ultimately - it's whether they sell or not that matters, apologies for the rubbish photos.

Blank is ripple Ash, with Elm in the sandwich, cut at 45 degrees, pen kit is a woodturningz Saturn in Gunmetal....

Lam-Pen-1.jpg

Lam-Pen-2.jpg

They look almost tartan, the effect you have achieved there Chris. They look like a ladies pen to me, don't know if that is what you hoped for LOL. Nice ones whatever.

Pete

richburrow":sjm9lo5i said:
You can get ply pre coloured, not sure where from though

CIMG6685.jpg

They're called dymondwood blanks and can be obtained from http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse. ... 11/level/4

They can be quite spectacular but you have to be careful when squaring off the ends as they are prone to splitting. Best to sand the ends rather than cutting them.

Ray

They look the business, but if it were me doing them I would cut the ash blank in 1/2 and ensure that the insets were completely in both 1/2s if you get my meaning.. The contrast is really good, but it would look better if the insets were complete. Next time I get chance to do any I'll give it a try for myself..

Not all have to be cut in straight lines here is one with a contrast of a dark veneer running through it(One of my very early pens)
Wavypen.jpg

and some others

HisandHerspens.jpg

Back