Knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

Knocked this up over the weekend.

DSC_0041.jpg

O1 steel and Bubinga.

DSC_0042.jpg

Hardened in the barbeque and tempered in the oven.
Shaped for right handed person with hands the same size as mine :wink:

Pete

Very nice Pete, very nice. You're going to have to look into etching a logo of some sort into your steel work :)

xy

Hi,

Thanks chaps.

I got the steel from Cromwell Tools but any good engineering suppliers should be able to get you some.

Hardest part was finding charcoal at this time of year! you don’t half get some funny looks when you ask.

Pete

Racers":35eb609d said:
O1 steel and Bubinga.

DSC_0042.jpg

Hi Pete,

this knife looks wonderful but I'm pretty sure, it's not bubinga. More like rosewood. That means better than bubinga.

Cheers
Pedder

Racers":3t7j39af said:
Hardest part was finding charcoal at this time of year! you don’t half get some funny looks when you ask.

my freinds hugh and caroline at rawhaw woods sssi near corby will be happy to sell you charcoal at any time of year ;)

that said - if you look on bodgers.org.uk or the logpile, on the small woods association you'll probably find a charcoal burning woodland owner considerably closer to nottingham than them

Gorgeous Pete...simply gorgeous!

I get my 01 steel from someone I found on FleaBay who lives about 2 miles from me....really lovely young lady too! Strange things these people get into!

She gets on fine with the missus so now I have all my steel needs sorted and I don't even have to get out of the workshop!!

Having read all these technical books about hardening 01....and particularly the bit about 780 degrees and the need for accuracy etc....etc...I find it amazing that you can do it with charcoal and guessing the colour.

I guess it's a bit like hand honing...once you know the technique (right colour) then you can be so accurate on colour alone.

I am a bit spoilt with the kiln but alas...it is too small to fit a lump like that in...I stretch just getting a standard plane iron in it.

Jim

Great job, Pete! I'd agree with Pedder - looks more like Cocobolo to me.
Matters not, 'cause its a pukka job :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi, Chaps

You could be right about Cocobolo, I seem to get Cocobolo and Bubinga mixed up, I have a peice of each and find it hard to ger them the right way round.

Jim, People did hardening for years without knowing the exact tempture, have a good look at the colour next time you do some its easy to spot when you have it right.

Pete

WOW this is beautiful. i love it, you have inspired me to try one myself. im going to yandles tomorrow to find some wood for my ss pressie and something nice for a knife handle.

always wanted to make a traditional swedish knife like the one in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9phlDH4h-eU

thanks adidat

Racers":1kkltzav said:
Hi, Chaps

You could be right about Cocobolo, I seem to get Cocobolo and Bubinga mixed up, I have a peice of each and find it hard to ger them the right way round.

Jim, People did hardening for years without knowing the exact tempture, have a good look at the colour next time you do some its easy to spot when you have it right.

Pete

Hi Pete

I was trying to peer through the tiny window with the mica seal but it is difficult...and you only get an end view.

I guess on an actual forge you will get used to the correct red colour.

I too thought that to be Cocobolo...is the dust bright orange after exposure to air?

Jim

Hi, Jim

It was bright orange so it must be Cocobolo.

I used it tonight it has enough weight to cut with out having to push down!!

Pete

Racers":1988v2yd said:
Hi, Jim

It was bright orange so it must be Cocobolo.

I used it tonight it has enough weight to cut with out having to push down!!

Pete

Just as a knife should be mate...superb! It is so lovely to work with a good cutting iron!

When I was making the Holtzapffel chisel handle the other week...I was turning the stock and left the workshop for a couple of days and when I got back it looked like a gremlin had been exploding giant packs of Cheezy Wotsits all over the place!!

:D

Cheers mate

Jim

Can you buy knife blanks ready to go?

I quite fancy having a go at making one but have no means(or the skill) to do the tempering thing. :wink:

Back