Jim Kingshott DVDs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbarhamlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Have just received the 4 Jim Kingshott DVDs (Bench Planes, Special Planes, Mortice & Tenon and Dovetails) from Tools for Working Wood.

A charming gentleman, with a slick yet very relaxed presentation style.

In spite of Fox Chapel Publishing's advice to the contrary, these are indeed region 0 - they play fine on the three region 2 (european) DVD players I have tried, and have confirmed that they're All Regions using Nero Infotool.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Philly

Now how'd I guess that, given your penchant for woodies? :)

The emphasis is on wooden planes where they're practicable - including many shop made. Plough, fillester, rebate, compass, moulding, match planes, spoke shaves, scratch stocks, quirk routers, shooting boards and mitring jigs including a wonderful custom made 51/52 style shooting plane and board.

Part of the joy with this set of videos is seeing details of Mr Kingshott's shop made tooling.

$80.85 ($15.96 each plus $17.01 p+p - this is USD not Sterling)

(And I didn't get bitten by the tax vermin.)

Cheers
Steve

Unfortunately, Jim's no longer with us, but a great down-to-earth teacher.
He had a magnificent collection of tools and was a great advocate of the Japanese way of working wood.

I learnt to do decently fitting dovetails properly from watching his excellent video, so if you have that one in the bundle, it's great to watch. It's a good thing that they are still being circulated.

I've seen one of his videos (the planing one) and I liked it a lot...as a little aside, he used to live in the same village as me, Deepcut near Camberley. I was a bit of a noobie then and didn't realise who he was until much, much later :( (and by then I'd moved away), or I would have gone round and introduced myself - Rob

dunbarhamlin":29lyw5dk said:
A charming gentleman, with a slick yet very relaxed presentation style.

Yes, Joel is a nice bloke isn't he.....or did you mean Jim? (only kidding)

I've been trying to arrange stocking these for a while now, apparently some mix up with whether Fox Chapel have the world distribution rights on the material, or just for North America. Once that is confirmed, it shouldn't be too long before they hit our shores.

Will keep you posted on any news.

Jim probably knew more about the English tradition than anyone else I have come across.

If there are any others still about, please let me know!

It was therefore even more remarkable that he took to Japanese tools in such a big way.

A very generous, knowledgable and skilled man.

David

It's also nice that he demonstrates the vertical paring approach to DT waste removal - though I'm sticking with chopping for now - his chisels scream, 'SHARP thing coming thru!'
Always nice to have both sides of an argument presented - I think it helps the self discovery part of learning (so in other words, don't JUST get Jim's DVDs, you MUST get Mr C's as well :p )

Amused that planing, he appeared fitter than that Canadian fella half his age :)

David C":6nthqyww said:
Jim probably knew more about the English tradition than anyone else I have come across.

If there are any others still about, please let me know!

It was therefore even more remarkable that he took to Japanese tools in such a big way.

A very generous, knowledgable and skilled man.

David

He was the final influence in my move to Japanese tools, for the most part. I was debating about whether to go with old tools or new Japanese, had taken a course with Odate, and when I saw his videos I was convinced. I'm so sorry I won't get to meet him.

He was even a price guide to molding planes, said never to pay more than 7lbs per. I've religiously followed this advice. :)

Pam

Latest posts

Back