Is this timber expensive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this quote for timber fairly priced?

• Yes, thats a fair price.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, it is daylight robbery!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • That's Cheap

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It's about average

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
After recent critisim for ordering timber from certain suppliers who are extremely expensive. I am still eager to find a fair priced supplier who is willing to machine to bespoke sizes.

So, please vote on your thoughts of the following price I have been given for this timber:

ALL TIMBER IS 100x17mm PAR.

African Idigbo @ 2.7m £12.18
European Beech @ 2.7m £12.24
North American White Ash @ 2.7m £12.18

Sub Total £36.60
Delivery £11.50
VAT £9.63

TOTAL £57.73

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I didn't vote 'cos the option I wanted isn't there -

you are paying for the prep and postage rather than the timber - 'pine' would probably be within 10%

The thing is you are ordering small amounts of non stock sizes. Its likely it all came out of 10ft (3m) boards and probably ripped from 6" (150mm). There is also the time taken to machine the boards, get it from the stack etc.

If you had ordered 27 meters of each I'm sure the cost would be less.

I voted fair price.

J

I voted average , but I would have liked to have voted "A bit on the expensive side". As mentioned above the quantity is small ,the sizes are not standard and it is par which you will obviously be paying for. Can you not buy it sawn?

Hi Simon,

It's probably not too bad a price for PAR. If it's any help, here are the prices of these timbers, sawn at 25mm ish from my supplier:

Idigbo: £720 + VAT
Beech: £735 + VAT
A Ash: £680 + VAT

Prices are per cubic metre. Bear in mind you require 0.007 cubic metres (based on 25mm thick) so that may give you a guide.

HTH

Richard

Back