Irony

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user22161

Established Member
Reaction score
1.30pm today, received email from Wood Workers Workshop advising 10% off Microjig Grippers. Have been vaguely interested in the past but as usual decided I didn't need one.

3pm, sitting in minor injuries clinic after router bit (in table) took a fair chunk down to bone out of right index finger.

5pm Ordered Gripper :D

Ouch!

Done the same so feel your pain.

Off the back of my mishap went and got a power feed for the spindle so those Micro Grippers look a bargain haha

have you checked the bit for any damage ? never used one on bone before so don't know how long it will last or stay sharp for,

Painful lessons are the best lessons, arent they?
i have the gripper, its pretty good. My only "thing" is if the wood piece is very small the gripper swamps it and you cant be sure whats happening.
but overall, yup, its a keeper.

sunnybob":27umvhvr said:
Ah, but is it in stock? :roll:

Just this once they seem to be, but I get your point.

I can't tell you how many times I've browsed the Rutlands site for things I want only to see "Sold Out" against most of them. Most of the time, if not all, if that happens I go elsewhere for everything, not just the out of stock stuff. Either they have a small cupboard that holds all their stock or they sell a lot, very very fast. So far I'm convinced it's the former.

I don’t know the price difference - and that might be enough to make the choice for you - but I would rather pay a small bit extra every time if it meant supporting smaller businesses such as Woodworkersworkshop or Classic Hand Tools or Workshop Heaven. To me, they give tremendous added value to us in terms of advice and support. And something called customer service.

i'm pretty sure rutlands just list everything from everybody, and then as and when they order stuff youre in luck.
But I have just stopped looking there because everything I have ever wanted to buy has a 6 month due in date as a minimum if not just "unknown".

I bought my gripper from a small shop, but honestly cant remember now which one but it was someone who is on this forum.
Its an amazingly versatile tool, can be adjusted in every dimension, except of course smaller.

ScaredyCat":3icyxkvx said:
I don't want to add to your pain but it is currently cheaper at Rutlands..

Checked yesterday and Rutlands were a couple of quid dearer taking into account WWW discounts and carriage charges. Paid £89.61.

MartinCox":2y1dttnm said:
I don’t know the price difference - and that might be enough to make the choice for you - but I would rather pay a small bit extra every time if it meant supporting smaller businesses such as Woodworkersworkshop or Classic Hand Tools or Workshop Heaven. To me, they give tremendous added value to us in terms of advice and support. And something called customer service.

100% of the time I've tried to order from Workshop Haven they've been out of stock of the items they say they have stock of - Didn't contact me to let me know either. They had 3 chances, they don't get any more. I do order from Woodworkers Workshop - that's Peter Sefton on here. The things I buy/try to buy from Rutlands are things Peter doesn't stock.

My limited experience with WH was very good. I contacted them to ask when the AI chisels would be back in stock and was told they were expecting a limited amount to arrive in a week or two and would I like them to inform me when they arrived.

They took a little longer to arrive than they expected but true to there word they did contact me when they had stock.

Can't ask any more than that in my opinion

gwr":jlfi1bvj said:
Forgot to say Take care of those fingers (hammer) (hammer)
Yes agree with that,"Working your Fingers to the Bone" was never a favourite on the pleasant pastime front.

I'm very sorry to hear you had a bad experience Scaredy Cat.

Our stock system is connected to the front end of the site, so if an item isn't in stock then you shouldn't even be able to add it to your cart. Orders are usually picked within hours, so on the very rare occasions where there is a discrepancy we can get straight back to the customer and agree a solution.

The only exceptions are Ochsenkopf and Bessey, which are shipped directly from the distributors warehouse in Yorkshire (fulfilment is the same whoever you buy them from).

One issue with no communication would be unacceptable, three on the bounce should be impossible. If you would be kind enough to drop me a PM with some details, I will take steps to ensure this can never happen again.

Back