Interesting article

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting and thought-provoking. I'll have a think about that when doing this afternoon's install......

Scrit

would be intersting to 'hear' others thoughts on this line...

“I love building furniture more than I love woodworking, if that makes any sense to you. As a result, I don’t see myself as a woodworker, but rather as a furniture maker.

surely the whole thing is why we call people "cabinet makers" etc :roll:

i guess the answer may well be whether or not you enjoy the process or the end product.

if you prefer the process then you work in wood,
if you prefer the end product, then you are a maker :lol:

i am sure that that makes sense, well i thought it did when i wrote it :oops:

there in lies the problem i guess, but also in the uk, very few people will afford to buy decent furniture in sufficient volume to offer a decent living to enough of us who would like it too.

the latest issue of woodworking magazine from the popular woodworking team has an interesting editorial from chris schwarz about pretty much the same thing. in britain too much furniture is available at prices below what we can buy the nails for, let alone the wood, and with other bills going up, are uk buyers going to gamble???

we would all prefer to be producers of fine furniture rather than woodworkers, but whether that is possible :-k

paul :wink:

Buckeye":20l80bv8 said:

“I love building furniture more than I love woodworking, if that makes any sense to you. As a result, I don’t see myself as a woodworker, but rather as a furniture maker.

I wouldn't call myself a woodworker, as a professional, working at the high end of the market I find the term rather insulting. Maybe like a chef being called a cook.
If asked what I do for a living I say "cabinet maker". Do I love building furniture, sometimes, I love running a successful business and Love landing big commissions.

senior":3l25srvp said:
Buckeye":3l25srvp said:

I wouldn't call myself a woodworker, as a professional, working at the high end of the market I find the term rather insulting. Maybe like a chef being called a cook.
If asked what I do for a living I say "cabinet maker". Do I love building furniture, sometimes, I love running a successful business and Love landing big commissions.

I can see where you are coming from in saying that. So do pros get into cabinet making because they enjoyed being a woodworker first or was it more of a career from the beginning?

I suppose a woodworker could be described as someone who makes fine furniture for themselves as there are a few on here who would match that description. There are also plenty of us who enjoy working with wood and the hobby aspect of it no matter what the end product is.

Back