If you're interested, I made another plane - With new photo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Yep, another plane

Bubinga again, which makes 3 using that plank so far, and enough left for one more. This one is about 9 1/2" long

I rounded this one more than the first bubinga plane I made, but less than the beech one I placed on here a while back. I also thinned the sides down to about 7mm thick rather than 10mm. Feels very nice and I'm sure the new owner will like it.

Getting the hang of the blades now, although cleaning them up after hardening is a bit of a pain and I wish I had a surface grinder.....

Well, here it is

Small.jpg

And the 3 bubinga planes together (new one is in the middle)

three.jpg

Very nice, Tony!
I can see you are getting better at this - the plane looks very stylish. Also the iron is finished nicely on the top edge - nice job!
Jointer next??
Philly :D

Alf":10n7c80d said:
Proper job, Tony. Interesting to see the evolution too. Are you numbering them or anything? :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf :D

Funnily enough, last night, my eldest my daughter picked up a book on planes that was lying around and suggested I put my name on mine like the ones in the pictures.
Not numbered them or anything yet, but might do something seeing as I am making quite a few at the moment.

Philly
If only I had the wood :cry: I can see a trip to yandles in my near future. Put the kettle on :wink:

Ahh Waka, the purpleheart is too thin for planes. I need some nice thick stock :D

Interestingly, i get the same problems Philly mentioned on his blog in that a little bump often appears behind the mouth after a few days but it is easy to remove with a piece of sandpaper clamped to a flat surface.

Well, after a little fettling I took some shavings tonight and the result is very pleasing.

In_Use.jpg

That shaving looks pretty good, Tony :) It would be interesting to compare the ones like you have made with a wooden wedge to hold the blade in, with those like Rob has made, and Philly's latest ones, that have a brass lever cap with screw. In theory, the ones with a lever cap and screw should provide more pressure, low down on the blade and should provide more resistance to chatter (not that you necessarily get any chatter with yours).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3rrl3xrz said:
That shaving looks pretty good, Tony :) It would be interesting to compare the ones like you have made with a wooden wedge to hold the blade in, with those like Rob has made, and Philly's latest ones, that have a brass lever cap with screw. In theory, the ones with a lever cap and screw should provide more pressure, low down on the blade and should provide more resistance to chatter (not that you necessarily get any chatter with yours).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Interesting point. Me and Philly have dicussed this quite a bit and I quite fancy a brass cap with screw, but without metal working machinery, it seems a bit of a pain to make (unless a one-off).

Having said that, there is definitely no chatter in this plane as the blade is a full 6mm thick and the 'fettling' I mentioned was to the wedge to get the best fit :wink: and I also avoid any danish oil on the ontact areas of the wedge.

The area I would really like to work on is the addition of a Norris style adjuster.....

Thanks Rob

Looks easy enough to make one of those - £40 seems a bit steep

His RI blades look god value, if a little thin

Hi Tony,
nice trio.....plane making is a whole new addiction.

Looks easy enough to make one of those - £40 seems a bit steep

actually they are quite diffcult and very time consuming to make and Ray's are actually underpriced for the amount of making in it.

Ray also uses a LH thread for the end eyelet also if you look closer at the eyelet end its all one piece....turned on a lathe using a ball turner then milled flat then bored out. Rays base plate is punched.........the shafts are taper turned......lot of work

i've made around 20 so far and now just starting to get them to a high standard.....one of the hardest things to make a quality job of for infills.

I

This plane making is becoming infectious! :)

I have probably missed some of the earlier threads but can somebody recommend any books on the subject please?
Also anything on blade making incl. tempering at home (ie what does one use for a heat source and metal supplies?

Here comes Yandles in September I think?

Rod

Back