I went to a local turning club

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I went the first time to a local club turning evening and it was a very pleasant and instructive evening.

Torbay Turners. They were using a Woodfast lathe which was most probably an oldie but it ran perfectly on a trolley for transportation into the club room which had the appearance of a dance floor, (church hall).

The attendance was around 50 members and viewing was perfect, two video cameras which were constantly attended and two screens, one a cinema screen the other 30" monitor. So no crowding and no obstructions at viewing.

The first session was devoted to decorating turned items with a system using a gellotine solution and variable random paint designs, (upto six colours ) the second half was devoted to offset turning.

I had no idea turning was so involved, pity I did not know of the club when I had my starter lathe, I might have progressed further but without knowledge I had a very little chance of inexperience of lathe work. So I recommend anyone with the opportunity find a regular venue to watch this craft.

I have been turning for over 5 years and never got around to attending my local club until earlier this year.
I wish that I had attended when I first started as the tips and information that you pick up is invaluable.
Now I really look forward to our monthly meeting.

Vic

Back