I am looking for a bit of advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauriceD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks I am looking for some advice. I have cancer of the voice box and despite radiotherapy and 7 operations the little devil appears to be winning the argument. My consultant has started preparing me for the probability of having my voice box totally removed. The result will be that I will have to have a hole in my throat through which I will breathe. I have been turning for many years and would be disappointed if I had to stop because of this. I wonder if there is anybody out there who has been in a similar situation and whether they have been able to continue turning. Thanks

Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope things get better for you.

I had several thoughts but I am not sure if they would be sensible in real life, the best thing to do is have a word with your doctor about this problem. I did see a programme on TV sometime ago of a diver with a tracheostomy and he had a special adaptor which connected the tanks to his tube instead of his mask, I wonder if it would be possible to do something similar with a 3M belt system.

A better source of help might be in dedicated forums if you search for "tracheostomy forum" on google there are quite a lot of them, mainly American from what I can see.

john

My thoughts are with you Maurice - I admire and can completely understand your desire to keep turning.

My guess is that dust is going to be an even more serious problem than before with effectively no nasal hairs to filter it out at all.

How about combining a Dust-bee-gone mask over your new hole and then mainly "wet sanding" your turnings with wax or oil as a lubricant? I'd also recommend you use an ambient dust filter too.

BivenMachinery and Turners Retreat sell the masks and I'm sure they'd be adaptable for your use. You can wash them out to keep them clean and hygienic.

Wishing you the very best of luck
Jon

Sorry to hear about the problem. I would have a talk to the doctor and ask that if you can make or find some sort of mask that would cover the tracheostomy entry hole so that you can continue with your hobby. Hope you find a solution and are able to get back turning soon

Hi Maurice
My grandson has had a trachy for about 16 years now, because you draw in unfiltered air they make several different types of filter that fit directly onto the end of the trachy, the only thing im unsure about is how effective these would be against fine dust particles, so you need to consult with your doc or medical team, all the best, im sure they will sort you out.

Latest posts

Back