How Can I Stabilise Wet/Rotten Ash?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan A

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some spalted ash, courtesy of Higon (many thanks), which looks as if it could produce a very nice bowl or platter - but it is pretty rotten, and the flying lumps have already reduced it in size from about 300mm dia x 125mm to around 200mm dia x 50mm. I have not hollowed it out yet; it is still a rough disc held between a faceplate and the tailstock.

The remaining wood is still pretty wet and may decide to split or fall apart overnight - so what is the best way of stabilising it and rendering it turnable for what are still beginner's skills?

Any advice would be welcome, I don't mind experimenting as I have some other pieces waiting to pay with.

Duncan

An image or two might help with helpful suggestions, but as one who has wasted a lot of effort and achieved a considerable amount of frustration along the way in the early days of turning, I would say that it sounds as though the best action would be to put it on one side and pick up a better quality piece of wood.

If by "flying lumps" you mean the blank is breaking up when spinning on the lathe then I would suggest the best thing would be to burn it. Get some decent wood to turn and don't take unnecessary risks.

Do follow the advice above, even an experienced turner would think twice about spinning up a piece that was losing bits, stabilising something that bad isn't worth the time or effort, it would take great skill to make it even slightly presentable, but the most likely outcome would be it breaking apart at some stage anyway. These are the more minor considerations, your personal safety being the major one, why risk it for something so poor?

I turn a lot of wood that is rotten, past it's best etc but I make sure that there are no loose bits before switching on. Unless the wood is something really special it isn't worth the risk even with a mask on. If you do get the outside shape done, hollowing it out is asking for trouble as it becomes super fragile and likely to shatter. There are ways of compensating but if you are a relatively new turner I would put it away and get a bit of experience in before trying to turn anything like you are describing.

pete

OK gents, thanks for your comments; in the bin it goes.

I did wear a mask and breathing protection, kept the speed down, and fitted the "bomb guard" to the 3520B lathe, so I was reasonably safe for the initial stages. Hollowing would have been a different matter, hence the question. One face is quite attractive and a bit firmer than the rest so I wondered if it was salvageable, for the exercise as much as anything else, but when you four gentlemen all say the same thing - I listen!

Many thanks for your advice.

Duncan

Back