Holly seasoning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackL

Established Member
Reaction score
:? Another birthday has come around (184 in case you were goin' to ask)!
My son has just presented me with a holly log 3 feet long and 9 inches in diameter. It's fresh sawn and needs seasoning.
My understanding of it is that a) it's liable to checks and distortion. b) it takes about 2 years air drying. c) kiln drying is not an option because it twists and goes haywire.
I was thinking of sawing it into 6 inch sections, squaring these off in the bandsaw and then waxing almost totally (just leaving a small area on each face, then putting them in the back of the shed for a couple of years.
Has anyone else tried seasoning holly successfully? If so, advice on method would be greatly appreciated. :shock:

HI

i have dried a couple of lots of Holly and the best way I have found is to cut it in half making sure you take out the pith otherwise it will split.

Seal the ends, I used undiluted PVA, and store in a cool dry place with good air circulation.

I found storing it upright gave the best results and store it away from other wood if you want it to keep its colour, or should that be lack of colour.

I have turned some off it green and providing the walls are thin it dries quickly without splitting.

john

:D Thanks John, I'll give it a go. I'll also turn a piece of the "green" stuff and make a thin walled bowl.
I did one some 2 years ago and used to take it around craft fairs to demonstrate how flexible the wall were, then some little tow rag grabbed it and pressed it against his chest and split it (the bowl that is, not his chest - unfortunately!). :twisted:
Time to make a replacement me thinks.

Have had some dried succesfully in the round (took two years,and probably only about 4-5" diameter)
Also done the same as John - sawn,split and sealed;happy with the results of that also.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back