Hollow form help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul johnson

Reaction score
i'm in the process of trying my hand at hollow forms i just bought myself a hollowing tool, what do you use to drill out the centre with i've done one small hollow form using a forstner bit but they only go in 3''.

Regards Paul.

I use an extension arm for the forstner bit, or actually a saw toothed type forstner bit which is better for end grain. The extension is just a metal rod with a hole drilled in the end to take the shank of the bit and secured with some grub screws in from the side.

If you've got the kit you can just weld a bar to the end I guess or otherwise make your own version up, but not very expensive to buy one, around a tenner or so if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Paul

I haven't got an extended holder [might get one now] but I have used a small old jacob's chuck with a parallel shank held in the larger chuck on the tailstock, which probably added 2"-3".

Thankyou for your reply's i spoke to the metal turner in work and he is going to make me an extension bar for my forstner bits.

Regards Paul

This is my first hollow form i got the wall thickness to 3 to 4mm I got a lot of play time ahead of me.
DSCF1122 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1122 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1122 (640x480).jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 741
Back