Hobbies (of Dereham) pattern 1935 era

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkinob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Was sent a copy of a Hobbies clock pattern (Fairy Clock No. 2059 dated 6 Apl 1935), I guess part of the 'Art Deco' time(?).Not impressed with the design at first but it has grown on me, also I seem to enjoy these patterns from the past, especially this one as I was about nine months old when it was published. The instructions suggested 3/16 ply with a dark wood for the overlays (around the clock) but I'm not a fan of ply - perhaps because decent ply is hard to get here in Oz - so it is in pine, roofing timber offcuts that I joined for width and then thinned. Finished with Danish Oil. Clock of course is a quartz insert and not the windup which would have been original. It measures nine and a half ins. by eight and a half
It went well and I'm smitten especially as with my level of expertise it stands up as intended!!
Regards,
Bob H.
fairyclock003.jpg

fairyclock004.jpg

Well done! I am also not a fan of ply for these sorts of designs as the edges just scream out at me even if its veneer faced ply. Thus your solution is good. Its a very striking grain for pine, the soft stuff we get over here is almost featureless.

Glad it stands up! One way to ensure it does is to stack cut the rockers, in that way both will be the same. I must asmit to having tried the hobbies plans and not been a fan of the dark black cutting area they use. I prefer to cut to a line than a block of colour - how did you get on with yours? I am presuming you also had the block pattern type rtather than the more modern line type, which is typical with all the hobbies plans I have.

Steve.

What a lovely clock. It just goes to show that good designs are durable over decades.

Like you, Steve, I hate using plywood. If you have to spend time working on a project, it's worth spending the extra money on some quality wood. Admittedly, there will be times when you have to use plywood because it is so stable. Nevertheless, I always find myself wondering why I don't get off my bum and find a local source of coloured acrylic instead.

Back