help from guitar makers: axminster AWHBS350N for resawing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mqbernardo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for reading,

does anyone have some experience of using this bandsaw for re-sawing a board into guitar backs and sides (or any kind of thin wood plate around 1/4 inch thick - if my imperial conversion abilities do not betray me :))

i´ve never done any kind of said resawing, so i´m totally unaware of the requisites for such a bandsaw.

i have lots of cheapo boards (Goncalo Alves, mahogany, satinwood, pau ferro,..) i want to resaw, but i also have a couple of boards of very old Brazilian rosewood i definitely would not like to ruin on the process...

any help appreciated!

miguel.

In general....if the bandsaw is well setup....they all work fine to within a tolerance. Naturally they will require hand planing to finish but by far and away the most critical factor is the quality of the blade. The ones supplied by the OEM are much like mitre fences on table saws....rubbish. After market is the place to fix them. There is plenty on youtube to assist in the setup procedures

There is a highly recommended blade chappie often referred on this forum...company called Tuffsaws (tuffsaws.co.uk). Just call and talk to the chap...knowledgeable and helpful, he will recommend sell and ship you the ideal blade for your saw and situation.

I have a AWHBS350N and have no problem re-sawing thin stock with it. But, as Bob says, it they will need planing afterwards.

Mr. Miguel. You might struggle with the Braz. Rosewood. Just remember: every 1 mm you lose in the cut can equate to around £100 per set, maybe more!!! multiply that by x and it can become an expensive loss. 7 inch in Braz. Rosewood is tough going. It will probably be able to do it but it will be slow going and you might have to allow for greater thickness. If you lose one single set from a board, it's effectively costing up to £500 - perhaps more if it's the really good stuff. That's more than the actual Bandsaw.

thanks for the replies guys!

Mignal (or should i say Mr. Mignal :)): I guess anyway i´ll saw it, i´ll end up loosing some of it to the saw - what do you suggest, hire a pro to do it? i know a guy who could do that, but he charges 80 eur/hour, plus he lives 50 miles from me. Do you have a better suggestion for a saw that wouldn´t break the bank? The Brazilian rosewood was not expensive, to be honest, i got it from a retiring cabinet maker for 4 eur/kilogram - but since there is no more left, i definitely would not like to loose much of it.

On second thought i could try to resaw the cheaper boards and get the pro to resaw the brazilian RW.

once again,
thanks.

Miguel.

oh, and i don´t know if it´s the really good stuff: lots of sapwood, riftsawn/flatsawn and kind of wavy - but, hey,
!, it´s BRW... it smells like it and i did the fluorescence extractive test (can never be too sure...). It´s very oxidized as it stood for the last ~25 years outside.

Attachments

• brw.JPG
    brw.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 755
Back