Heart attack (cont...)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
According to the professional worrier that visits me I am well on the way to a complete recovery!!!!
The heart attack was painful, the surgery uncomfortable, but both bearable. I wish I could say the same for the meds!
I'm on Asprin, Beta Blockers, ACE Inhibters, BP meds and Statins, all designed to reduce the strain on my heart and aid with recovery. They tell me!
Yesterday I could manage just two steps before greying out and going dizzy.
The Beta blockers are supposed to slow my heart and stabilise it. Yeah!
48 beats per minute and erratic at that, apparently I can't take the Beta blockers and I'm off them, but it will take several days to wash out of my system.
Anyone else had this problem?

Roy.

Not had the problem Roy, but I really wish you well with yours!!!!!!!

I think that for every helping hand these wonder drugs give they do 2 things. 1. give more problems than they fix and 2. stuff yet more cahs inthe pockets into the con men that put them on the market!

The very best of luck Roy. I hope that you are properly back on your feet soon mate!

Thanks mate, the Beta blockers seem to be clearing now so that I was able to spend a little while in the worshop. Nothing heavy, just cleaning and tidying but a beautiful day to be finally out and about.

Roy.

Roy

Get well soon!

My Dad had his first heart attack at 62. He had a few more in the couple of years after, but survived them all. He had his last heart attack about 4 years ago. He's now 94. At 86 he built an extension on his bungalow.

So don't be too down. Back when he had his first attacks they didn't routinely do bypass surgery, and now he's too old for angioplasty. He's showing no signs of slowing down and walks a mile into town every day to do his shopping.

Good luck!

All the best

Steve

I'm to be checked to see if I need further surgery Steve but the experts tell me that most people actually end up fitter due to the life style changes than before the attack.
It has certainly forced me to slow down and relax more.

Roy.

Working on it mate, managing to tidy me workshop, slowly. I can't abide inactivity.

Roy.

Hope the recovery continues apace Roy.
Can't tell you about the Blockers as I am up for assessment this month! (Mine blockers are prescribed for hypertension.) I've lost almost 2.75 stones, so I am hoping the situation has improved enough to reduce the dosage.

The statins completely loused me up, and after three different varieties, I came off them altogether. Guess they didn't suit me.
Especially when they discovered they put my cholesterol levels into 'free-fall'; i.e., dangerously low readings.
Can't win can we?

All the best again... :D

Can't win can we?

Nope! I'm finding the cure is worse than the disease as well. PSA results tomorrow as well, so fingers crossed there as well.

Roy.

I had a quadruple by-pass op a couple of years ago. If I had been asked about it in the first year after the op I would have definitely said don't entertain surgery, now I am not sure, I am able to watch exciting sports events without any chest problems and do feel generally OK.
When I was being discharged from the hospital the senior nurse made a big thing of taking my meds , saying with each one "You don't need these we have cured you". Three days later I was in the A&E of anoyher hospital having a blockage removed and having a whole new lot of meds to take , more powerful than before the op. same again three weeks later.

Yep.. All these conflicting views. I'm beginning to think they don't actually know what causes heart attacks. If they don't, well what chance have we? Someone, somewhere is getting something wrong.

I hope they find out who, where and what over the next twenty years or so. Then my kids might have a chance of avoiding heart troubles.

Roy I hope your up and running soon, infact if you want to do the Great North Run I will defo sponsor you! Seriously I have sponsored several people who have had heart surgery, take it slow a little at a time and before you know it you will be working longer than you were before you problems.

I have spinal problems and some days I don't do a thing that's when I try my hand at other less demanding hobbies, you just have to adjust your life style a little.

Take care

Stew

I go with Stew.
I started painting in 1981, when I was put on 'light-duties', after surgery.
I am no artist, but I got to like daubing paint about, and now it's a hobby I can do on the 'bad' arthritic days.

Of course I envy the people who grow old without these joint troubles, and so on; those lucky few who remain active until their real dotage. Some of them even, never did a day's exercise in their life. They smoked, drank and ate whatever they wished, without ever putting on any weight. But we can't all have the genes for trouble free 'running', and like Stew says, it's a case of adapting to cope with the conditions that are thrown at you.

My Gawd do I have to adapt! So, go on Roy... I'll sponsor you too.

:D .

Roy, I've refrained from commenting up to now, but may I please add my best wishes to you (and the carer in your house)?

My daughter is 23 and has SVT - her heart beats twice as fast as normal; when she stands up quickly, she passes out...a great deal of those medications and symptoms mentioned above are familiar in our household. But, there is still the odd crazy thing that just shocks or creases you up, depending on mood. Vanessa cannot ride a bike. She's lawfully forbidden to, by her cardiologist. Why? 'cause, if she was incapacitated while riding and caused an accident, she has a "pre-diagnosed condition" that makes her responsible for the prang and no insurance company will cover the risk, no court will find her other than "guilty".....She lived with this imposition for four years in....wait for it.....Cambridge!

Life is strange.

Sam, the wrong side of 55, overweight, in a stressful job, and anxious.

Hey Roy, hope you feel better soon amigo. Also hope your PSA was good pal, I am due for a 3 month follow up in July on my radiation, so we can compare numbers then. Get well , be well and most important , be happy. It is surprising how much the last means in achieving the first two.

Back