Headphone tour of the Planets.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched it and was rather disappointed. The telly balance leaned far too heavily on the fiddles.

The BBC Symphony's performance seemed to be good, balance definitely wasn't. But then I'm going deaf (although not in the lower octaves, where it was lacking!).

I didn't spot a binaural setup anywhere visible (but the director didn't sit on a wide shot for any reasonable length of time - had it been Mendelssohn, one might have actually been seasick). Over the conductor's head or somewhere else?

E.

Sorry - sounding like a grumpy old git... but then that's probably accurate these days. The BBC's been trying to get binaural to work for decades, without consistent success. You can't get to good binaural from spotted mics (unless there are really, really clever algorithms now). You might theoretically do it from a Soundfield mic I guess, but even that will take a lot of number crunching.

There are no technical details on iPlayer, but I know where to ask...

I think you'll find it worth the 52 mins Michael. Sounded good even on my laptop internal speakers!

(But I DO wish that "I vow to the my country" wasn't such an "earworm" - been caught singing it every washing up session since)!

Latest posts

Back