Hardwood sanding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Fat Pig

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow woodfolk. I have inherited a hardwood garden bench which has been outside for the past 20 odd years and needs a bit of TLC. To this end i have taken it apart and started to give it a sanding using a random orbital sander . The problem is that the dust is going staright into the fairly open grain and i need to know the best way of removing it before i apply a few caots of teak oil or similar. I`m not sure what wood it is exactly but i`m fairly certain it is a hardwood from eastern shores . Possibly iroko , or teak or a mahogany look-alike type. It has silvered over the years outside but on the tennons i can see the original colour , and the dust from sanding is orangey brown , sort of ! . Years ago i read or heard that white spirit was best for removing dust as it doesnt raise the grain, but ive tried that and it doesnt remove the dust either. So , does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me please ?
Thanks in advance.

Piggy

Hi

How about a brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner or blowing it out with an air gun if you have a compressor.

Regards Mick

i would give it a wipe over with white spirit, to get any loose off (as you have done), then try a coat of oil, somewhere unseen, like under a slat. I think that the oil will penetrate and you wond see it. It isnt like it is varnish dust.

simplest....hoover with a narrow nozzle for max suction.

Me personally...I would have sanded with suction so no dust would ever have entered. If it had, I'd blow it out with an air gun.

Thanks for the replies. The bench turns out to be Cedar and a combination of robust brushing and white spirit has done the job. Now i just need to find the best oil to apply. I tried some teak oil that i had knocking around but this gives the wood a much darker finish than i anticipated so i will try some danish oil to see how that goes.

I am not an expert in exterior finishes but don’t think general Danish will last that long outside. If you need any advice ring AG Wood care they are very knowledgeable on finishing products, they will also be at my open day next month along with Bob the polisher who teaches finishing for me.
http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/

Cheers Peter

Back