Gun Stock Making.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcros":1x78u6kv said:
my father and I shot some clays with mine and he moaned how much it had bruit=sed him the following day- I was unaffected because it was fine for me.
He wasnt holding it tight enough to his shoulder.
Length of stock affects accuracy and all day comfort, but it doesnt cause bruising. Pulling the gun into the shoulder pocket and leaning forwards into the gun almost completely eliminates bruising.

marku":1349weug said:
At a guess the wood needs to be at least 3 inches thick.

It looks really tricky to me, I think it would take a very long time and a carving duplicator would make things a bit easier as said earlier in the post.

A friend of mine has made a solid walnut electric guitar which is probably comparable. Definitely not easy but maybe doable?????

Mark

It's just that I have a four-foot centre-board from the base of a walnut bole. It has a root-crotch in the centre, and some lovely grain where the base flares out. Unfortunately it's only 1.25" thick. :cry: And I don't think gunstocks are ever laminated! Shame, because we could have come to some arrangement I am sure. The board must be about 15 years in my possession, so it's dry. I think it would make quite a few pistol grips though! Which makes me think 'saw-handles'!

John

no reason not to laminate a stock, a lot of competition rifles are laminated.
I had a crazy 3mm laminated stock for the match 54 for a while (granted not a shot gun)
you can have a laminated stock on a shot gun too though. crack on. :)

Come to think of it, I have seen rifle stocks that looked suspiciously like plywood, with the elliptical grain patterns you would find if you csrved plywood. Although I think that was on an air-rifle! :mrgreen:

I did once think of making a plane handle by laminating, to get around the problem of the handles snapping, ( as they do), across the grain.

It's just that I have a four-foot centre-board from the base of a walnut bole. It has a root-crotch in the centre, and some lovely grain where the base flares out. Unfortunately it's only 1.25" thick. :cry: And I don't think gunstocks are ever laminated! Shame, because we could have come to some arrangement I am sure. The board must be about 15 years in my possession, so it's dry. I think it would make quite a few pistol grips though! Which makes me think 'saw-handles'!

John [/quote]

1.jpg

Benchwayze":268w209t said:
Come to think of it, I have seen rifle stocks that looked suspiciously like plywood, with the elliptical grain patterns you would find if you csrved plywood. Although I think that was on an air-rifle! :mrgreen:

I did once think of making a plane handle by laminating, to get around the problem of the handles snapping, ( as they do), across the grain.

I can say that it certainly wasn't on an air rifle (although the laminated stock I have now is), it does look rather like plywood though you are right, difference being the air rifle stock is hardwood all the way though, believe its maple and walnut, each laminate being 3mm thick. the rifle stock was 3 pieces of walnut with ash (4mm) between, all grain in 1 direction (unlike plywood), was stunning to look at, not that it mattered what it looked like really.

a quick google for "laminated shotgun stock" should give you the idea of what can be done.

It doesn't have to be expensive for your blank. I bought a chunk of American black walnut big enough for an air rifle stock for £50 from British hardwoods. You only need 18", this was 3'.

Latest posts

Back