great deal?!?!?!?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not so much a question as a statement, I just bought 15 turning chisels (10 robert sorbys) a set of carving chisels, a set of forstner bits, a few chuncks of unknown wood a shoulder plane and a supernova chuck with spare jaws for £50. :D :D

I didnt even argue the toss as I would of paid that for the chisels alone. Only problem is the thread is wrong for my lathe, any suggestions on company's who sell thread adaptors? Found some on ebay for £38 then delivery of £5 I think. Surely they are cheaper than that? I need a 1" 8tpi to 3/4" 16 tpi.

Thanks guys.

I could hardly beleive it really myself. Spent the last hour sharpening them up :D .[/quote]

To stop them rusting from the drool probably. :D A great buy.

As Bob said, all you should need is a new insert. If RP don't have one to fit your lathe, try Charnwood. I got one from them for my old Myford lathe, and it was only in the £20 area.

bobham":q38ryrqq said:
You should only need to buy a new insert for the chuck to be able to use it on your lathe. No need to buy a thread adaptor unless you have other tooling that requires that thread. Check here for chuck inserts: http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/chuck-inserts

Take care
Bob
Tazmaniandevil":q38ryrqq said:
As Bob said, all you should need is a new insert. If RP don't have one to fit your lathe, try Charnwood. I got one from them for my old Myford lathe, and it was only in the £20 area.

cheers bob, will save me a fortune . Unfortunately the one I need from RP says obsolete so itll have to be charnwood I guess. Roughly the same price anyway. Thanks tazmaniandevil.

JimB":18xwpwwz said:
I could hardly beleive it really myself. Spent the last hour sharpening them up :D .

To stop them rusting from the drool probably. :D A great buy.[/quote]

Would you beleive he said I could have them as he was going to ....... you may need to sit for this . . . Are you sat down? ...
"Skip" them other wise!! I refused free of charge and gave him the £50 (complicated story, but was for a good cause), all I could spare otherwise id of offered more.

Im making a return journey at some point as he has various old tools and SLABS!!! Of wood that he said is going in the skip! !!! I have advised this is a sin, punishable by (at the best) death and told him to save the fee on a skip and ill move it :) (obviously following another donation)

Soooo jealous. I actually thought that the tools were obviously stolen - normally that's the only reason you'd get an offer like that. But since they weren't even asking for money, that's not the case.

Well done saving them (and the wood) from the skip.

YouSpinMeRightRound":1dboowuv said:
Soooo jealous. I actually thought that the tools were obviously stolen - normally that's the only reason you'd get an offer like that. But since they weren't even asking for money, that's not the case.

Well done saving them (and the wood) from the skip.

nooooo! An old freind of my father in law, unfortunately has just had his dad placed in a nursing home ( various health reasons) and they were clearing the property to lease / sell to fund it. He was essentially clearing it all(skip), luckily father in law got wind and told him not to throw them as id be interested.

If I thought they were stolen by any means id of strapped the little scrote to my lathe mid bowl turning!!!!!!! Ive had my workshop broken into twice now and it sucks!

JimB":34f0bq05 said:
You must have spent a good and blameless life so far or, if you haven't, you'd better start now. :D

Roger that, spent hours last night sanding and varnishing the ash and oak handles and polishing the tools. As sparkly as new now (well almost!)

Stiles and Bates have a full range of inserts for £22.50 each. It says for supernova 2 but Teknatool state Common Insert/Adaptor Fitting – compatible across all NOVA chucks.
Great deal you got well done.

Ray

Hi ray,

just found the teknatool adaptors on ebay. Seems the cheapest around and they do state to fit all nova chucks.

Back