Good local sale on Sunday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
My local car boot can often be a disappointment when it comes to hand tools but last Sunday I was spoiled for choice. I wasn't after anything in particular but did expect a few smaller items from the bargain bins set up by one of the regulars who has low-low prices and I wasn't disappointed on that score.

So the usual range of tatty bits and bobs to start with:

fCDakat.jpg

I thought the top item was a scraper and once I got it home I could make out Eclipse stamped in the blade so I could look it up and confirm that's what it is. Pleased to have one of those finally and for practically nothing.

q0FVQim.jpg

vks9iLe.jpg

The two chisels and file were from other vendors, 50c each and €1 respectively, €4 for the rest.

Then later on in the main field there was some good stuff, including a milk crate full of varied swing braces along with this:

0W3xev8.jpg

z8BPKGI.jpg

I spotted the gleam of rosewood first, that was unmistakable from a distance. That and the main handle shape told me how old it might be although I couldn't tell who made it initially I eventually could just about make out a Stanley logo, smaller and not where I expected it to be. The drill was a bit grubby, with a bodged handle repair but all the teeth were there and seemed unworn, there was surprisingly little rust and everything moved that should move. Then I asked the price (a fiver) and it became a no-brainer.

I couldn't make out anything more than the logo at home but looking around online on Sunday evening I found enough to make me think it could be a 624 which it has turned out to be, so well chuffed to get one this rare for much less than the going rate for eggbeaters here, even in much worse condition.

On the way out just by the entrance I picked up two vintage DIY/woodworking books for a Euro a piece which rounded off the sale nicely.

Doh!
Am I the only one who read your thread title and thought "I'm free on Sunday, I'll pop along if it's local to me" ?
Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Does that handle unscrew for bit storage inside?

The handle does indeed unscrew:

cdR3ZB5.jpg

The logo is very difficult to make out but it's there by the hub of the wheel on the handle strap:

YzBLY6k.jpg

The photos don't really show it but the gearing was really filthy, packed with dirt:

MUkJCDV.jpg

I think I can come up with something a little better than this to mount the crank handle!

9IoEEy8.jpg

The patent chuck, a little tired on the outside but very clean inside:

XXb1LnB.jpg

Just as well it's so clean as I can't get it off its spindle and I can't take it apart, but it really doesn't need it.

After a basic clean up, nothing done to the wood as yet:

ndBZSI2.jpg

jvuI2oc.jpg

Ihf3ky6.jpg

z8pQ6cf.jpg

Just as well I was planning on a full restoration, the paint really wanted to come off:

vzYtFyU.jpg

Back