Glueing / Bonding MDF to plastic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used contact adhesive to try and glue some MDF to a plastic bucket lid that I am using as a drop box for my Cyclone Central 50mm Cyclone. The plastic is very "floppy" and distorts a lot once I switch the vac (old Draper) on so I thought that 6mm MDF glued to the underside of the lid would stiffen things up. However the pressure keeps dragging the MDF away from the plastic lid.

Is there something better to use to bond the plastic to the MDF please?

Charlie,
I'd have thought that you'd be better off using PU for something like that - it sticks like dung to most things including the spout of the containers it comes in, so would likely adhere to your bucket lid admirably. Might be worth keying the surface with some 120 grit paper just to make sure. Alternatively, and maybe in addition to PU perhaps some pan head wood screws from the top esp around the perimeter since the vacuum is likely to attempt to peel the mdf from the edges 1st, and I suspect peel strength of any glue is worse than an evenly applied force?
Cheers
Ed

Ed
Thanks for that suggestion. I think I may have some PU lying around somewhere. Not sure if I have pan head screws that are short enough not to come through the other side of the MDF - will have to have a hunt around to see what I find buried in my untidy mess!

I would think with 6mm mdf with it being a poo material for holding fixings. I would bolt the lid to the mdf, that would give a more secure fixing then :)

If the plastic lid you are trying to use is made from polystyrene / polythene ( think Airfix toy soldiers) you will never glue it successfully. This is the kind of material that the food and catering industry uses for buckets and drums because it is impervious to almost everything, nothing will stick to it.

hi i had a similar problem when i did mine and as above i to bolted mine together worked a treat
pip

My first dropbox was from a large metal agricultural oil can. After I tarted up my bench a bit made a square mdf box instead, with a pull out drawer for easier emptying. I seen no noticeable difference from round to square

try sticks like sh*t, screwfix sell it I think.

I've used it to bond plastic to mdf very successfully. tbh I've not found anything it doesn't bond

Back