Glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
In my work over time i have used pva,cascamite,urethane,cascophen,aerolite,airodux and various epoxy resins but i have never tried titebond ....am i missing out?

Oh and also while i'm digging into the past about glue, as a kid i hated the smell of copydex,and what was the paper glue in little tubs that came with a small spatula that smelled of almonds.......?

Yup thats the one Gripfix, great smell, really sweet! Uhu smelt nice too and that stuff that came in a tube that you could blow balloons with......Oh no I think i must be a glue sniffer :oops:

My first question is serious though!

I've used PVA, Gorilla glue and contact adesive whilst woodworking and I can easily say Titebond is the best. I only discovered it about 2 weeks ago. It does actually set in half an hour in the current weather and its really easy to clean up.

heathens the lot of you,

What you need is some good old animal glue warming up in the morning - thats a smell to remember, especially if you spilt a bead or two on the hot plate.

Thanks Chems, I have just been on the titebond site and it seems that titebond III is the one for glueing up an exterior door, anyone disagree and have a better solution?

I use Titebond III most of the time, but it can stain some woods so best not to slap it on!

Rod

I've gone exclusivly over to TBIII and find it great...I even tried it in the AirPress bag yesterday, excellent stuff. Thus far, no problems with staining as Rod suggests - Rob

I had a problem gluing some Wellingtonia (giant redwood) with Titebond III which stained blue wherever the glue made contact - despite wiping off immediately with a damp cloth!

I managed to remove it with some dilute phosphoric acid which I use for rust removal.

There was a thread way back about glue staining but I cannot find it?

I've used it on oak, sycamore, ash, elm, mahogany and beech without problems but I am very careful applying it?

Rod

I've got some chestnut squib so can have a little test tomorrow for you if you'd like.

I choose TBIII cause when presented with them all on the shelf I went for the one with the highest number! I'm most impressed with how easily it sands off. The gorilla glue I used only once was an complete nightmare, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Harbo":3gek9dfi said:
I had a problem gluing some Wellingtonia (giant redwood) with Titebond III which stained blue wherever the glue made contact - despite wiping off immediately with a damp cloth!

Fascinating. I love those trees. What's the wood like to work? We had one at home when I was a kid - not the very biggest, but I climbed it (to my great satisfaction). It lost a branch occasionally in winter storms and I remember the green wood as quite fibrous and stringy. But that was branches, not the trunk.

What did you think of it?

GrahamH":382iquov said:
heathens the lot of you,

What you need is some good old animal glue warming up in the morning - thats a smell to remember, especially if you spilt a bead or two on the hot plate.

Strange you should say that. many years ago, thirty five probably, I was attempting to use animal glue for the first time. Of course the problem was the viscosity, how much water to add. Dear old Mum came to the rescue when she suddenly said "That smells just like your Grandfather's glue now!". And it worked well.

Thanks or reminding me :)

xy

Wellingtonia - Sequoiadendron giganteum (Redwood)

My local wood supplier nearly gave it to me as nobody else would touch it

It took a long time to dry out and most of the boards split so I had to biscuit joint them in strips. When dry the wood is very light and strong but easily marked. The growth rings are quite wide. The late-growth very hard but the other growth very soft which plucks out easily when planing.
In all, a bit of a challenge but interesting and the wood is red!

Rod

Harbo":2j48p7zz said:
Wellingtonia - Sequoiadendron giganteum (Redwood)

My local wood supplier nearly gave it to me as nobody else would touch it

It took a long time to dry out and most of the boards split so I had to biscuit joint them in strips. When dry the wood is very light and strong but easily marked. The growth rings are quite wide. The late-growth very hard but the other growth very soft which plucks out easily when planing.
In all, a bit of a challenge but interesting and the wood is red!

Rod

As is that amazing soft bark. We lived on sandy soil and were surrounded by confer plantations. The Wellingtonias (we actually had two) were planted in the grounds of a manor house that was demolished to make way for our estate. We got lots of GS woodpeckers, Yaffles (occasionally) and tree creepers on them - they loved the bark for the insects. It's also the only tree I know that has branches that exit the trunk horizontally and hang downwards.

That wood burns fragrantly and spits a lot (but it's not all that resinous). I'm a bit surprised at the growth rings - ours never really seemed to make much of an effort - but I've never seen a seedling. They may grow at significant pace.

There's one in the grounds of our children's former primary school. It'll have to come down eventually as it has a pronounced lean and an awkward fork in the trunk high up. They get Pine Moth, IIRC, which likes the topmost crown shoots, but in that one's position it might have been struck by lightning some while back. We know the headmaster well, so I was wondering about asking for a tip-off when the fateful day is eventually scheduled.

I have just started to use titebond and am very pleased with the results ideal for cabinet making and easy to clean.
I also use wudcare fast grab polyurethene glue it is very very strong but a nightmare to clean when wet but very easy when it has dried.

Eric The Viking":1xll11w5 said:
but I've never seen a seedling. They may grow at significant pace.

IIRC, the seeds need to be exposed to high temperatures or smoke compoinents (forest fires) before they germinate. Maybe suggest that the primary school tries an experiment:)

dickm":384p7cpx said:
Eric The Viking":384p7cpx said:
but I've never seen a seedling. They may grow at significant pace.

IIRC, the seeds need to be exposed to high temperatures or smoke compoinents (forest fires) before they germinate. Maybe suggest that the primary school tries an experiment:)

They won't need any encouragement!

I Wikipedalled: apparently Wellingtonia is the European name for the Giant Sequoia, of which there is supposedly just the one species remaining. Not to be confused with the Coastal Sequoia, wot is taller but not bigger (by volume). These are apparently more conical and sort-of dumpier (if you can say that about the biggest tree in the world!).

You're dead right about the forest fires. It seems that lack of suitable burning -- it's gotta take out the scrub at ground level, but not kill the entire tree -- means that they're slowly dying out.

The present mature trees will probably die before saplings replace them. The seeds do germinate, but the saplings die off in the first year, without post-fire ash and bare ground. Fires also cause the cones to open.

Mind yew, our Wellingtonias were all imported way back, and grown successfully in some nursery plantation somewhere (one would guess), so the situation can't be completely hopeless.

Truly wondrous things, trees.*

E.

*I was going to say, "Spotted Owl drumstick, anyone?", but thought it might be/have poor taste... :whistle:

Back