Glazing bars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
DSC00088.jpg

I'm just about to start making these doors and looked at the picture to remind myself . How am i going to do that sprang to mind :lol:
I will have the old doors so i can take them apart to see the joint but i thought id see what you guys think .

Very interesting!
The simplest thing is to copy exactly everything that was done before. It is likely that whoever made it knew more about woodwork than you do. No offence meant - this is the principle on which I've been working for years - that the old chaps were the experts. No point in re-inventing the wheel.
Looks like a reduced gunstock stile :lol: see earlier thread. There are ways of making this simpler 8)
£4k + ?

cheers
Jacob

You have a way with words Mr G you charmer you :lol:
I agree and will be having a good look at how it was done . Any ideas your self before i reveal how it was done ?
P.S the gunstock stile is'nt a problem but i don't think it is one . The moulding gives it that look .

JFC":1l3fmc0t said:
You have a way with words Mr G you charmer you :lol:
I agree and will be having a good look at how it was done . Any ideas your self before i reveal how it was done ?
P.S the gunstock stile is'nt a problem but i don't think it is one . The moulding gives it that look .
Well the 2 horizontals will go through the stiles with wedged tenons. The 4 short ones will have stub tenon into blind mortices in the horizontal GBs and the stiles.
Er, f'ed if I know about the diamond bits. Mitering/scribing a bit of a prob - you'd need a good accurate rod on a board so you could lay the pieces on and mark out the angles. I'd guess tenon on the short one and mortices (bridle joints) on the 2 diagonals more likely. Perhaps blind.
Let us know when you have found out the secret.
NB raised and fielded panels below - if not a curved profile is very easy to do on a table saw. In fact I don't know why people buy expensive cutters for this, as straight ones look much nicer anyway

cheers
Jacob

It was the diamond i was talking about , the rest is simple .

Though you would go for one big sheet of glass and silicon mouldings to either side :D :wink:

JasonB

Looks like it's a stop tenon with a scribe mould on the top and bottom and just a scribe mould on the sides .
DSC00116.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

So it's sorta 2 tenons and one mortice. Slightly easier to do than my guess which was 1 tenon and 2 mortices.
Learn something everyday on this group :D

cheers
Jacob

Well that was fun , especially as i'm making the doors to the beveled glass :roll:
DSC00146.jpg

Back