Getting on Conservatory roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a leak happening on a conservatory roof in the worst possible place for access. (marked with circle on drawing).

Its a bungalow which helps, but neighbours also have a conservatory right up against it. There is no gap, they appear to have been built right up against each other at different times and have 8" of lead flashing moulded over the join.

It's about 10ft x 10ft, so quite a distance in.

What's the best approach to get at the troubled area?

Thanks.

PXL_20230310_180933715.jpg

Got a leak happening on a conservatory roof in the worst possible place for access. (marked with circle on drawing).

Its a bungalow which helps, but neighbours also have a conservatory right up against it. There is no gap, they appear to have been built right up against each other at different times and have 8" of lead flashing moulded over the join.

It's about 10ft x 10ft, so quite a distance in.

What's the best approach to get at the troubled area?

Thanks.

View attachment 154861

Had a similar problem, also no access from neighbours side so had to climb over the whole roof to repoint some flashing, temporary props was all that I used along with a bit of luck & only walking where the timbers were :p (was far easier than removing a couple of the polycarbonate sheets).
IMG_20161108_141007.jpg
IMG_20161107_133106.jpg

Yeah have done it many times, my approach was a couple of props inside on ply offcuts to spread the load on tiled floors and padded at the top so not to mark then I always used a few scaffold boards across the roof again padded where the rest , far better than ply as they don't flex much and it helped that I already had them of course.

The leak could well be at the bottom rows of bungalow tiles, the felt sags and rots so water enters the cavityand face of the outer leaf and seeps through at ceiling level in the conservatory, worth checking that first, it isn't a difficult fix.

Had a similar problem, also no access from neighbours side so had to climb over the whole roof to repoint some flashing, temporary props was all that I used along with a bit of luck & only walking where the timbers were :p (was far easier than removing a couple of the polycarbonate sheets).
View attachment 154866View attachment 154867
That lead flashing is too long for one piece. I think current regs are 1.5m? This is to allow expansion and shrinkage, otherwise it tends to split

Back