Fetool Ts55 EBQ - First Impression Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
As some of you know from a previous thread, I was debating as to which guide rail system to invest in. I was looking into either the EZ system from EurekaZone or the Festool. I was recommended Mafell as another consideration, but I wanted to keep my choices simple, and I had more information on the former two.

So, to cut a long story short, and for numerous reasons, I decided to go for the Festool TS55 with guide rail. You can view the thread here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11059

I phoned Jaycee Tools (Middlesex) and first spoke to a nice guy called Carl who gave me the latest prices and asnwered some initial questions. I wasn't ready to purchase that day so phoned back the following day after I had more information of what I required for my needs.

I spoke to Andrew who was extremely friendly, and knowledgable about the Festool system, answering all my queries in detail and referring to his own personal experience of using the Festool to build his current 'built-in' wardrobes. This gave me confidence as this is one of the jobs that I intend to use the Festool for.

The service was so good that I actually ended up spending LESS money that I was prepared too, basically I was going to purchase the angle guide, an 800mm rail and few other bits and bobs. But after speaking to Andrew, I realised I probably didn't require these just yet, so I kept my order to just the TS55 and an extra 1.4 rail with connection bars.

So, onto the tool itself. It arrived early wednesday morning, very well packed and completely un-damaged, which was a good start.

216829537_57103342e6_m.jpg

I continued on to unpack the item, careful not to damage anything on the way, here's what the tool looks like in its very nice Systainer case:

216836908_809f5bd3bf_m.jpg

and the inside:

216829566_4c0b810fca_m.jpg

and the rails:

216829671_d1180bf902_m.jpg

My first impression as I opened the systainer case and took out the saw was that it was extremely smart, well enginnered and nicely balanced, because of this it felt very light and easy to handle. It's smaller than I thought, which for me is good.

Some photo's of the tool itself:

216857154_370a1a0523_m.jpg

216857195_663669f889_m.jpg

216829779_e7aafe7e29_m.jpg

216829746_cc8288bd2b_m.jpg

The finish of the saw is exceptional, all the casting is smooth and accurate, the plastic parts are solid with no wobble. All the green-bits do something, so it's easy to know where and how to adjust the saw. I worked it out within about 30 seconds without the need of an instruction book, it really is a well thought out and easy to use saw.

From this point onwards I just tested the saw on the rail, tested the connection bars and familiarised myself with the instructions, here are few more pics.

216829809_a4b70bf30a.jpg

And some pics of the rails joined using the connection bars:

216837035_e4f45cee48.jpg

216837002_9f5a60bbb8.jpg

There are two tips that were given to me about joining the rails. The first being that not to overtighting the screws as they can push and distort the rail, they only need to be tightened using light finger pressure. The other tip is that to ensure a good accurate cut along the length is to join the two rails together and cut the rubber strip with the saw, not to do 1 at a time as this is where some in-accuracy can come in.

Also i've found that if you take your time in lining up the connection bars, you can get an excellent and square join. I find it easier to lock down the top bar first, and then the one that goes underneath. You can feel a very slight bump as you run the saw over the join, but this really is very very slight and does not alter the path of the saw in anyway. I'll be testing some cuts using these joined rails later and will report back, but so far it seems pretty spot on with the connection.

On the weekend, I will use the machine to make some initial cuts and will provide some 'in use' pictures and comments, although most people have covered the performance of the machine already, I wanted to use this review to comment on the buying and support service that comes wiht a tool of this premium.

One last thing which proves without a shadow of doubt that Festool are excellent value for money, and that is without me realising, this came with the kit:

216829717_05ab6be50a.jpg

The Festool watch comes with a black leather strap, brushed alloy finish to the time-piece and 'Festool' in their trademark green on the face. It's water-resistant and even tracks the day of the month.

Some other really nice features of this timepiece as 12 numbers on the face, with TWO arms, (not just one) 7 holes on the strap to ensure this will fit all range of wrists. It keeps time excellently and efficiently. :)

In all seriousness, this was a nice little suprise and a welcome one as I don't have a watch to use when working - my other watch is too good to get scratched etc.. and it's a nice touch.

Festool value for money??? Absolutely!!!

congratulations!!!

Make sure you look at this aditional manual - it is full of useful stuff that isn't covered in their basdic manual.

(click on View Tip in this link)

Darren D":v0z25vzy said:
Make sure you look at this aditional manual
Thats excellent - much better than the 'real' manual. Thanks, Darren :)

Enjoy your new saw, BB :)

Cheers,
Neil

Good to see we have another Festool convert, you'll really enjoy using the saw.

Don't suppose you got the festool vac to go with it? that too is expensive but well worth the price.

Darren - Thanks for the link, i'll definitly have a read of that before I start cutting in earnest.

Neil - I'm already enjoying it and i'm sure it will get a lot of use, as this is my 'table saw' and will see many many jobs :)

Waka - I didnt get the Vac, although I was considering purchasing the CT mini to go with it, but I needed a router, so the vac is going to wait, I have an old Dyson that I currently use at the moment, but don't have the appropriate tubing to connect it up.

I did a quick cut on some mdf a few minutes ago (uber impressed with the finish) and didn't think about the dust, the nozzle was pointing upwards and I quickly got a face full of MDF dust, the extraction on this thing is incredible, so in light of that, i'm very tempted to order the CT mini.

I think I remember reading that you have the mini, how long does it take you to fill the bag, and are the bags re-usable?

Yes I've got the mini and find it an excellent machine, regarding the bags, they arn't re-usable but having said that they do last a long time, I think I've only used 3 bags so far and its had a lot of use.

Now this is not to say that the bags cpuld'nt be made re-usable with a little thought.

I think you'll be more than satisfied with the mini.

ByronBlack":17wmgylw said:
I did a quick cut on some mdf a few minutes ago (uber impressed with the finish) and didn't think about the dust, the nozzle was pointing upwards and I quickly got a face full of MDF dust, the extraction on this thing is incredible, so in light of that, i'm very tempted to order the CT mini.

I think I remember reading that you have the mini, how long does it take you to fill the bag, and are the bags re-usable?

I have a CT mini but only use it on site. I use my Trend 160AF in the workshop because I fits the Festool outlet quite well and is doesn't need bags. It's a fair bit cheaper too (and holds more dust)

John

Sorry for sounding a bit dim :oops:, but how does it clamp to the piece of wood to be cut? Now that I have returned my piece of junk that was the SIP table saw, this has whet my appetite :D

Phil

Phil

It's really best suited for cutting sheet material. You can just lay it on top as it has rubber strips underneath that anchor it very effectively...even on slippery MFC.

You can use it to cut other timber but I found it takes more care in setting up. You also need to support the guide with the same thickness timber.

Clear as mud?

Hi Phil,

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but picked up your comment on the SIP table saw which suprised me a bit as I got one secondhand a while ago and am very pleased with it. What problems did you encounter with yours ? You obviously feel strongly about it !

Thanks, Paul. :D

Roger thank you for your reply, I have just read through Byronblack's previous thread and found out a lot more about the system.

Paul, to be fair to SIP it was the basic model. However the fence was poorly constructed, it was banana shaped :evil:, I had to use a Trend guide rail as the fence. I bought it from Costco and it was returned as soon as a member from the forum advised me of their returns policy.

Byronblack, sorry for interupting your post.

Phil

Hello there Byronblack

I've just finished reading your review on the FESTOOL. Thank you very much for such an informative and useful report. It has helped point me in the right direction and being very new to this sort of thing it was just what i needed. To explain a little of what i'm up to, i am a sound engineer who is moving into speaker cabinet and flightcase design as my own projects and the FESTOOLS system looks like what i may need, my question to you is, would the FESTOOLS system be easy to use for a complete novice such as myself?. I do not have much experince with wood apart from just roughing jobs in the building trade and the odd stud wall frame. Any feedback and advice would be greatly apprecieated.

thanx

Moe

Hi Moe

From my short experiences of cutting sheet material, I would say without a doubt that the festool is a good tool for the novice (Like me!!) it makes things so easy, and safe too which is great.

It's dead easy to use, you just line up your rail, set the depth, plunge and cut - no mess, no hassles no worries, and a perfect cut each time!!

I've recently bought the TS 55 EBQ myself, and excellent bit of kit. extremely user friendly, light enough for repetitive work. Does an excellent job of ripping with a 16t blade. Followed by the CT22 extractor, it greatly reduces the clean up time on site and a Rotex 125 FEQ sander. Must admit to becoming a bit of a Festool convert, just waiting for the Festool Domino to arrive.

Back