Fence Wood Preserver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a good wood preserver for a fence that is child, wildlife, and pond friendly?

I've built a fence around my pond to stop my daughter ending up in the drink, however, she is likely to stand at the fence and peer through at the pond. Therefore, I'm primarily after something that, once applied, is child safe. (There's a mix of sawn and planed timber).

Cheers

Thanks, Chris. Trying to avoid paint if at all possible from both an ongoing maintenance/aesthetic point of view. I think I may go for something that can also be used on garden furniture on the assumption that something used on a garden table must be relatively safe.

Matt,

My usual preference for preservatives is usually something that is classified as toxic to the environment (the orange and black label of a dead fish and tree). These things probably aren't good for your fish and other wee pond critters, especially if you treat it in-situ.

How about just leaving it untreated, I expect that you might get a good 5 years out of untreated softwood. Maybe by the time it falls down your daughter will be able to swim, or at least less likely to come into danger.

Cheers,

Dod

Back