Table saw fence length

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyfiesta

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Startrite 165 and when refurbishing the original fence, I noticed the following in the manual:

“It should be noted that whilst a long fence is useful in guiding sheets, for rip sawing, the fence should finish level with the commencement of the cut.

Therefore, a wooden facing is fitted to the fence … to prevent the timber jamming …”

(pls forgive any typos, I had to transpose by hand).

I don’t have this original wood facing and can’t make sense of the grammar. Should it stop where the cut starts? That would be very short no?

I must admit to watching plenty of US videos where fences are long so had assumed I’d just use a full length wooden face (or building a H style thing to straddle the ORM fence.

The other thing in the mix is that the saw blade is slightly off square to the mitre slots (<1mm to the left at the back of the blade) so was thinking any fence I make should compensate?

Any tips appreciated. I’ve had a good read through similar threads and am most curious about the manuals wording and original size fence.

Cheers 🍻

You should be able to adjust the top to align slots with the blade.

Finishing the fence before the middle of the blade prevents (reduces the likelihood) of the back of the blade, which is rising out the table, from pinching the workpiece on the fence and creating kickback. I was looking for a picture but couldn’t find one. Basically a couple of cm short on the blade middle is fine.

My own saw has a full length fence which I set up with the back edge a hair further away from the blade than the front edge. I also always use a riving knife, which again serves to prevent the timber pinching on the blade.

US vids tend to have a lower level of safety guards than UK. It is not a 100% guarantee that with or without a long fence or riving knife you’ll have a problem. However both will reduce the likelihood of a issue. You makes your bed and you lies in it!

Fitz.

Cheers, Im certainly going to be using a riving knife (it’s in the middle of the return/making parts I need for this Frankenstein) and a crown guard if I can find a decent after market one.

Some members have made great crown guards, have a search in the search bar... plus, the extraction point is best at the front if the crown guard and at least 63mm, 100mm if possible.

My dewalt has a full fence ( site saw with knife and crown ) whereas my old multico cast unit had a short fence. I actually prefer a long fence, just as a visual guide i guess?

Back