Feedback on website revision

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

A little bit cheeky perhaps but I wonder if you could spare some time and visit my 'Rat site and give me some feedback on any bugs that need fixing.
For the new web compliance I have had to embark on the tedious job of moving away from FrontPage extensions and remove and revise certain code from every page. I have discussed this with forum members at Yandles but finally settled on MS Expression web as it builds on my experience of the now outdated FrontPage software.The site has had some new paint splashed about and some revisions to speed it up. Are the page colours too harsh?
Are there still off-set pages in safari and early versions of Firefox? Broken links?
There is still lots to do before I can start to redesign and rebuild using CSS style sheets etc.
My poor old brain is throbbing!!
Thank you for your time and trouble,

Aldel

Well the content is excellent, but you asked for feedback about the website :( Now don't take anything I say the wrong way I'm not being personal but there are definite rules about graphic design for advertising, page layouts for magazines and this would include web sites, if you look at real cool professional page as you are not a professional you may not notice but there are some rules.

1. Entry pages are not needed

2. No more than two colours per page, three if you must. (this does not include print or pictures.

3. no more than two fonts per page.

4. No more than two sizes of font per page.

5. Boxing sections on a page makes for confusions and won't be read, it will simply be missed.

these are some very basic rules that my son explained to me there are many many more but I can't remember them, there are books on the subject it's a whole minefield.

Now take another look and see how many of these rules you broke. :cry:

On an up note I do like the content. :lol: even though I don't own a rat :lol:

Hi LN,

Thanks for the info. Seems like I am a complete maverick and breaking every rule in the book! Fortunately it is not a commercial site nor am I trying to draw in random visitors. I am noting your tips and will ensure that I will follow them for the final rebuild.

My first job is to revise the site to try to meet the new web code compliance and to speed up page loading. (one of the reasons for the Enter page) That will eventually go and the whole thing built around CSS.
Navigation had become cumbersome as the site has grown hence the contents/navigation page. I presume this would normally live under a site map page?

There are too many 'flashing' bits I know and the box or table structure will go.
Big difficulty has been consistent display with different browsers with Safari giving the most trouble.
Snce I am not a designer or coder it is a struggle however if I make the content easily accessed then the primary hurdle will be passed.

Pleased keep the comments coming as it is the only way that I will learn!

Thanks, Aldel

aldel
FWIW I agree with all the points LN made. I have never tried to design a web site - other than a quick play with Frontpage - but can appreciate the time and effort involved.

I do not own a rat but have visited your site on many occasions. The content of the site is excellent - I suspect that you have been responsible for converting many to the "Way of the Rat".

Looking forward to viewing your final rebuild

Cheers :D
Tony

aldel":qvp8qesr said:
Big difficulty has been consistent display with different browsers with Safari giving the most trouble.

Thanks, Aldel

I've got two sons, one is a programmer the other is a graphic artist heavy into IT. I once tried to build a web site, but got so much stick from them both I just gave up :cry: you probably know a lot lot more than me about building a web site at least your site works and is popular. :lol:

Latest posts

Back